Beginners Luck

Hi folks

For years I have thought about playing sea-shanties on my boat to pass the time away while on autopilot. I am off back to scotland (I live in denmark) for a holiday soon. So I thought it was about time I either did something about it, or stopped thinking about it. I have decided to do the first. So I am asking - what kind of concertina is best for me to buy (only enough buttons please - not too many), and where in scotland can I find one ?

Cheers

Gerry

Hi folks

For years I have thought about playing sea-shanties on my boat to pass the time away while on autopilot. I am off back to scotland (I live in denmark) for a holiday soon. So I thought it was about time I either did something about it, or stopped thinking about it. I have decided to do the first. So I am asking - what kind of concertina is best for me to buy (only enough buttons please - not too many), and where in scotland can I find one ?

Cheers

Gerry

WELL IF YOU ARE FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO SING INTHE KEYS OF C AND G YOUR BEST BET WOULD BE A 20 KEY C G ANGLO,IF NOT I WOULSD SUGGEST A FULLY CHROMATIC ENGLISH ANGLO OR DUET DEPENDING ON WHETHER YOU PREFER THE PUSH PULL OF AN ANGLO OR THE SAME BUTTON SAME NOTE IN OR OUT OF THE ENGLISH OR DUET.welcome to c net and i hope you enjoy being on this forum.dick miles

Thanks Dick, and thanks also for the welcome. The same button same note thing suits me fine. What is the difference between an English and a duet ?

Cheers

Gerry

... The same button same note thing suits me fine. What is the difference between an English and a duet ?

Cheers

Gerry

Broadly speaking the scale of notes on an English system concertina passes from hand to hand, whilst duet systems have lower notes in the left hand and higher ones in the right. As an anglo player that's about all I can tell you, but others will no doubt weight in soon.

Samantha

Thanks Dick, and thanks also for the welcome. The same button same note thing suits me fine. What is the difference between an English and a duet ?

Cheers

Gerry

Click Here

If you follow this link it'll take you to a page you should read. C.Net has plenty of info you can have fun exploring to find.

Basically a duet plays low note on the left and high notes on the right (like you'd play a piano) Whereas an English splits the notes between left and right. So duets are good for playing like a piano and Englishes are more like playing a violin.

A word of warning squeeze boxes and water (either as liquid or vapour) don't mix :wacko:

Darren

Edited by Dazbo

Hi folks

Cheers

Gerry

WELL IF YOU ARE FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO SING INTHE KEYS OF C AND G YOUR BEST BET WOULD BE A 20 KEY C G ANGLO,IF NOT I WOULSD SUGGEST A FULLY CHROMATIC ENGLISH ANGLO OR DUET DEPENDING ON WHETHER YOU PREFER THE PUSH PULL OF AN ANGLO OR THE SAME BUTTON SAME NOTE IN OR OUT OF THE ENGLISH OR DUET.welcome to c net and i hope you enjoy being on this forum.dick miles

Well Dick, he might only want to play not sing :). But besides that, I think the general tendancy is to think of sea shanties as being played on an Anglo not an English.

Gerry, I can understand the desire to have the notes play in both directions, but it also increases the number of buttons you have to worry about. I think most Anglo players get use to the fact that each button plays two notes pretty quickly.

A final thought is that the Concertina Connection's Jack/Jackie has received good reviews as a beginner's English concertina and I expect the Rochelle will likewise be favorably reviewed. They might well be the best available instruments this side of a $1000 US.

--

Bill

...in truth they canbe played equally well on all three systems.

Or on all 6 or more, if we count the various duet systems separately, which we should. :) (How many Maccann players can make sense of a Crane or Hayden, much less a Jeffries duet?)

But agreed. All systems serve the purpose just fine.

...in truth they canbe played equally well on all three systems.

Or on all 6 or more, if we count the various duet systems separately, which we should. :) (How many Maccann players can make sense of a Crane or Hayden, much less a Jeffries duet?)

But agreed. All systems serve the purpose just fine.

Oh yeah, I agree... I am just going with the pure esthetics of the idea of playing shanties on concertinas... its the popular imagation, not the reality (since shanties were not played on concertinas until relatively recently).

--

Bill

I am just going with the pure esthetics of the idea of playing shanties on concertinas...

Esthetics are never pure. ;)

Our esthetic concepts are based on our experiences. Of those I have heard accompany sea songs on concertina, the majority have used the English. It was some time after I got used to this that I learned that most (though not all) concertinas appearing in movies (and on stage?) have been anglos and that this is the main source for the idea that sailors used concertinas a lot.

Bill, your experience -- and so your esthetics -- probably differed.

By the way, of those anglos appearing in films, it seems that many weren't actually played. I believe the Englishes were. :)

I am just going with the pure esthetics of the idea of playing shanties on concertinas...

Esthetics are never pure. ;)

Our esthetic concepts are based on our experiences. Of those I have heard accompany sea songs on concertina, the majority have used the English. It was some time after I got used to this that I learned that most (though not all) concertinas appearing in movies (and on stage?) have been anglos and that this is the main source for the idea that sailors used concertinas a lot.

Bill, your experience -- and so your esthetics -- probably differed.

By the way, of those anglos appearing in films, it seems that many weren't actually played. I believe the Englishes were. :)

I don't think I've ever seen a concertina in a movie. Any particular ones you want to point out?

Hi all,

Actually this is Chris Timson masquerading as Robin, since I am in his house and sitting at his computer.

I am not going to launch my usual diatribe about finding the system you prefer to play rather than letting others tell you (it won't take you long to find an example if you look), I'm just going to point you at my web site the Concertina FAQ. Hopefully you will find it more full of useful information than a pomegranite is of pips.

Chris

Actually this is Chris Timson masquerading as Robin, since I am in his house and sitting at his computer.

I look forward to Robin's post when he finds out :lol: .

Give Robin and Anne my regards.

Peter.

Give Robin and Anne my regards.

Peter.

I trust the two Annes know who is who!! :D :rolleyes:

Ok Guys

Thanks to the many for the information I have now received. I am not put off yet...:) and special thanks to Charlotte for at least 1 personal contact in Denmark...

Now since it seems that modern sea shanties play equally well on all of these types - and since I sail a motorised boat I guess I am a modern type at heart - and the duet type sounds to my liking as I have a fantasy that I can play a bass rythm with one hand while playing a melody with the other - it that popssible or advised ? what kind of size and weight are we looking at ? Not much use having one if I have to lug it up and down a narrow companionway each time the rest of the crew send me out on deck to the front end of the boat to practise.

Thanks for the links to those who gave me them - and talking about films - was there ever one on "mutiny on the Bounty" ?

Cheers

Gerry

This is Robin this time!!

So you say! But how can we be sure? :unsure:

Maybe you're really Anne. :huh:

Then again, maybe you're not Anne, but Anne. :o

Or maybe you really are Robin, but you're only claiming to be Robin in order to confuse us! :wacko:

Yes Chris had my permission. :) After all anglo players are used to reciprocal arrangements!

I was just wondering whether Chris was trying out a new version of Mornington Crescent........moves have to be carried out in person, rather than made on the map.