Old Concertina Players

I would be grateful if anybody can tell me what the following concertina players played

It will be either Duet of English

Frank Olloms,Harry Bluff,Kosartka Concertina Quartette,Tommy Dale,Tom Jukes

Arthur Clements,Tom Prince,Harry Dunn,

Tom Prince played Concerta with the Letchworth Morris Men.

Many thanks

Al

Tom Jukes, Arthur Clements, Tom Prince, Harry Dunn,

Hi Alan,

All of the above played English. I met Tom Jukes at the WCCP Halsway event of 1986 (I believe that he died the following year), and Arthur Clements I met at the North London Music Festival, 1989 onwards, where we competed in the Concertina Class (Arthur donated the trophy, known as The Arthur Clements Cup).

Regards,

Peter.

I met Tom Prince whilst I was at King's College Newcastle, in the 50s, he played at that time for the Derwent Valley Morris Men. He held up his English Concertina in his hands, standing up playing very loudly; I was most impressed. I had previously not been impressed with the english concertina, as I had only seen it in the hands of shy women sitting playing softly and not adding much to a band. He also used to teach the Piano-accordion, which I don't think he played; and used to be the Accordion judge at the Northumbrian Pipers Alnwick Gathering every autumn.

I met Harry Dunn on several occasions at WCCP meetings and Halsway Manor weekends. He played a 56 key amboyna ended, gold buttoned, Wheatstone Aeola. It was a treble extended upwards, not a tenor-treble. He was the finest classical English concertina player that I have ever heard. He held the instrument in an unusual way resting the next flat side to the usual on his knee, so that the collums of buttons ran at a 45 degree angle, enabling him to freely use the little fingers on the lower notes, which he did with great virtuosity.

Tom Dukes had at one time played in the South Shields concertina band, where he had been the youngest player. I first met him when he became the Musical Director of WCCP when it first started over 20 years ago. He played the ENGLISH CONCERTINA (capitals deliberate) he hated Anglo and Duet concertinas.

Inventor.

I failed to tell you that I have recordings of all these players and subject to satisfactory cleaning these artists will be featured on either English or Duet International.I do hope for the help you are giving me ,that they will bring back some happy memories.

Harry Bluff sings "I played my concertina" without actually playing one,he has orchestra backing,so I am not too concerned as to his concertina,but it would be interesting to know if he ever played one.

This question may seem to some simple,all you have to do is listen to the playing,but I can assure you that it is almost impossible to tell what instrument it is as many of the artists named are so good I certainly would not take a chance on which collection to put them in.

You have however shortened my list dramatically and I will have a close listen again to Frank Olloms "Canadian Capers Barn Dance" (Capitol 4304 A) and Tommy Dale "Lopeziana" (British Homophone S1000/1) and Marilyn (S1001/2).

What a wonderful crew you are

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Harry Bluff sings "I played my concertina" without actually playing one,he has orchestra backing,so I am not too concerned as to his concertina,but it would be interesting to know if he ever played one.

This question may seem to some simple,all you have to do is listen to the playing,but I can assure you that it is almost impossible to tell what instrument it is as many of the artists named are so good I certainly would not take a chance on which collection to put them in.

I'm sure I can hear an occasional bit of concertina on my 78, but who is playing it is anybody's guess....More likely imho to be a member of the orchestra than Mr Bluff.

I now have all the info on the players instruments with the exception of Harry Bluff and the Kosartka Quartet

a great result.

I will now see if all these recordings clean up so you can have a listen.

Thanks again

Al

Al,

You sent me scurrying to one of my ICA Archive boxes. There's a tape of Tom Prince put out by the Letchworth Morris - 'Tom Prince in Concert' with Jack Bainbridge and Andrew Coxon, and also another earlier one I don't have. Tom plays Wheatstones on both - a treble 56K and tenor treble 64K. Good quality recordings, so perhaps a track or two might be made available by the Letchworth side for a sampler CD .

Al,

You sent me scurrying to one of my ICA Archive boxes. There's a tape of Tom Prince put out by the Letchworth Morris - 'Tom Prince in Concert' with Jack Bainbridge and Andrew Coxon, and also another earlier one I don't have. Tom plays Wheatstones on both - a treble 56K and tenor treble 64K. Good quality recordings, so perhaps a track or two might be made available by the Letchworth side for a sampler CD .

Thank you Wes

I have been made aware of this recording.I wonder ,Is there a contact name on the Cassette?

I will write to them as you suggest.

Al

There's a tape of Tom Prince put out by the Letchworth Morris - 'Tom Prince in Concert' with Jack Bainbridge and Andrew Coxon, and also another earlier one I don't have.

The other tape is titled "Tom Prince / Jack Bainbridge".

I'll have to listen to these recordings again; I never met Tom, but understood that he was "a bit good". I recall Father Kenneth Loveless saying that at an ICA Festival, he had awarded Tom 100/100 for one performance!

There seems to be quite a variety on the earlier tape; one track which should be great is "Bells of St. Mary's".

A "Google" search of Tom Prince / concertina suggests that the Letchworth recordings might now be with the Morris Ring.

Regards,

Peter.

There's a tape of Tom Prince put out by the Letchworth Morris - 'Tom Prince in Concert' with Jack Bainbridge and Andrew Coxon, and also another earlier one I don't have.

The other tape is titled "Tom Prince / Jack Bainbridge".

I'll have to listen to these recordings again; I never met Tom, but understood that he was "a bit good". I recall Father Kenneth Loveless saying that at an ICA Festival, he had awarded Tom 100/100 for one performance!

There seems to be quite a variety on the earlier tape; one track which should be great is "Bells of St. Mary's".

A "Google" search of Tom Prince / concertina suggests that the Letchworth recordings might now be with the Morris Ring.

Regards,

Peter.

He is certainly good Peter

Thanks Wes

Al