Mornington Crescent For Concertina Players

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did tell Sven not to put his Big Bipper up in a public park, but be told me that people would be able to admire the view.

I see that Sven, like Samantha, is a member of this forum and has been since 19th August 2003, though as yet he has not actually posted. Still, I find it heartening that both Sven and Samantha are concertina players. Who knows, perhaps the great Humph himself occasionally sets aside his trumpet for a quick squeeze!

Still, back to the game. I feel we are entering the closing stages, and there are clearly a couple of front runners, though watch out, I'm not far behind! It's definitely time for some diagonal play, so I shake the dice and move the boot to Lancaster Gate.

Chris

Besides, it would have ended what could be a classic game a little prematurely.

I'm currently having to re-think holiday plans! :unsure:

Maybe instead of renting a Swiss Cottage, I'll have to go there instead.

Taking advantage of the fact that it is now Easter Monday, I can, according to William Hayward-Smith's variation*, go straight to Cockfosters, can I not?
Already been there!

Still legal. How else would we get loops? (Or is that, "get looped"?)

Still legal.

I'm still thinking about the implications of Chris Timson's opening "Totteridge & Whetstone" move. :unsure:, I not sure that this is still valid in 2006 (under ICA regulations). However, it would be a shame if the move was to be declared "void", meaning that we would have to replay the game from that point!. :(

I'm still thinking about the implications of Chris Timson's opening "Totteridge & Whetstone" move. :unsure:, I not sure that this is still valid in 2006 (under ICA regulations). However, it would be a shame if the move was to be declared "void", meaning that we would have to replay the game from that point!. :(

To declare virtually the entire game so far to be void would be patently ridiculous!

Oh, but even Wheatstone's second concertina patent -- the one about "Improvements" to the concertina -- expired before 1860, so there is currently no valid patent. :o But that would mean that it can't be patently ridiculous, which is patently ridiculous, and... OOH! I seem to have gotten myself into a loop!

And the last move was to Swiss Cottage, which is way too close to Dollis Hill. Help! If I don't escape quickly I'll be bouncing back and forth like an anglo player's bellows, or a tennis ball at Wimbledon!

Maybe instead of renting a Swiss Cottage, I'll have to go there instead.

Bad luck (or bad playing) there Peter you should have invoked Rushden's Reversal and gone straight to Mornington Crescent but it's too late now :lol:

So in revered memory of the late, great Willie I'm off to Grope Lane.

So in revered memory of the late, great Willie I'm off to Grope Lane.

Eh? Which line is that on? :unsure: I can't seem to find it -- or any station name resembling it (several Lanes, but none of one syllable; no Grope at all) -- on my London tube map.

Eh? Which line is that on? :unsure: I can't seem to find it -- or any station name resembling it (several Lanes, but none of one syllable; no Grope at all) -- on my London tube map.

A fair question. there is an outside chance Grope Lane may be valid, however, depending on the last diagonal invoked and rulebook in use. You may wish to challenge Dazbo on this, though of course the arbitration procedure could take months to complete.

Chris

Bad luck (or bad playing) there Peter you should have invoked Rushden's Reversal and gone straight to Mornington Crescent but it's too late now :lol:

Oh ****! :angry:

I was too busy concentrating on defensive play to see that!

Regrettably the web site you have provide a link to won't let me in. Apparently it has "exceeded its quota". Since that sounds uncannily like a category error in Mornington Crescent then it may well be that this "CalvinBall", whatever it is, is a relative of the noble game.

Chris

Regrettably the web site you have provide a link to won't let me in. Apparently it has "exceeded its quota".

Try again, Chris. I just got in with no problem.

"Quota" may be an at-the-moment sort of thing, like "Flood Control" here on C.net.