South Pacific Squeeze-In 2004-2005

Would you attend a New Year's Eve celebration and concertina weekend on Fiji?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard,

I have been to lazy or too busy to look to the dictionaire and I thought this word might ber understood as I meant.

Well I wanted to say some kind of competition with awards according to various categories :_

Best Concertinas, Players, Makers most handsome Player more or less serious.

A Street Gig sounds nice !

Regards

Joachim

Due to the Low Sight problem I suffer for over a year, it costs me some effort tollow the forum duely. I make mistakes, I am learning to overcome or better said to avoid.

So I did not find the last messages, not getting aware that there is already a secoind page. Please excuse.

Helen and Jim, yuo both are right !

Without being able to explain thiungs academically, I state :

In the Spanish Language, which I use mainly in my daily life, I would have said concurso, I guess in French could be used Concours.

Concurso/competicion :

Concurso de belleya Beuaty Contest

Competiocion deportuiva , Sports competition

Concurso de coches Antiguos - Contest of Antiqwue Cars (Beauty, Elegance)

Competicion de coches = carrera, Raciong competition

Concurso de Concertinas, probably would more refer to the instruments, in its beauty, and quality etc.

Competion de Concertinas, would probably refer more to the Players and Makers.

Concurso de Musica Musical Contest

KONKURS in the German languuage means in fact Bankrupcy, we might all get bankrupte pretending to go to Hawai, competing with the most bveautiful concertinas, eventually buyiung new specially for the contest, but certianly I did not think in this possibility, when saying the word.

Regards

Joachim

:rolleyes: Weeelll since Jim and I are both right, maybe we can play.

Jim can be in the concurso de belleya.

Until last year I could enter the concurso de coches antiguos, but I traded in my 14 year old car.

(Very embarrassing, the Head of the Used Car Division came out to meet someone who had driven a car so long.)

It's okay, Joachim, I am just teasing.

Although of course if Jim does want to enter...

For me Hawai is $2500 and 12 hours away, so I'm still leaning more towards Fiji; unless you guys are interested in coming down under of course :D

Morgana :)

For me Hawai is $2500 and 12 hours away, so I'm still leaning more towards Fiji

It would really help if folks would let us know where you live. Your user profile has you a day and 3 hours ahead of me (me being in New England, USA), so I guess you're in eastern Australia?

For you Fiji is close. For me Fiji is about 20 hours and $2100. We all have choices to make.

Ahah! So, she's from Melbourne! Good thing I had a inkling of which Allan you were referring to AND had a copy of his book. Still, it would be much nicer for posters to let folks know where they are - particularly when dealing with issues as time and locations.

David - which book would that be :)

Richard: my apologies; yes I am in Melborne (I thought I'd mentioned that in an eariler posting above).

Cheers

Morgana :D

Back to the original subject in this thread...

I would attend a December/January Squeeze-in in Hawai`i!

I have never been to any of the Polynesian Islands, though for the past 2 years I have been studying Tahitian Drumming, and for the past year I have been studying Hawaiian Hula and Hawaiian `Ukulele (all under the same teachor) here in Chicago, (north central USA).

(If anyone else is currently in the Chicago area, you can see us on December 13 at the annual Christmas Around the World presentation at the Museum of Science and Industry.)

So Hawai`i would be great. If it must be in Fiji, maybe I can make that part of a Polynesian trip.

- ALex

Have ackes today my Travel Agency for Air FAres to Hawai from Frankfurt/(Main, Germany,m bering told that difference Londion, Amsterrdam, Paris, wpould not copnsiderable,

Cheapest 750 Euros North West several Airplane changes

ASecopnd : 850 with Delta , the same circunstance

Lufthans via USA 1.100 Euros

All prices for 2003 before 15th of Decmber.

Sounds reasonable.

And there should besome reduction for Goups ?!

Rich how about lodging prices in Hawai ?

Regards

Joachim

Rich how about lodging prices in Hawai ?

Lodging on the Big Island of Hawaii is less expensive than on the other islands - but still pretty steep!

Rates are per person, per night with double occupancy expected. IOW, if I note $100 it means if there are two people in that room, that room for two would cost $200 per night. If one person wanted the room by him/herself, it would cost about $150 per night. Typical one-night rates for places on the Big Island are:

B&Bs: $ 50 to 150

Small inns: 100 to 200

Local hotels: 100 to 300

Resorts: 200 to 600 and up, way up....

My parent's B&B ranges from $50 to $85. I just talked with my Dad who says that they could do a special rate for a group of us and suggest taking one (or more) of their houses (that sleep anywhere from 3 to 14) which usually have several common spaces.

A particularly appropriate one could be their "Deck" house which has a huge living room and two covered decks. The nice thing about this house is that it's on the same property as the main B&B and "garden apartments" for easy walking to breakfast. The "garden apts" open onto a common covered lanai (another jamming space). Meals (beyond the provided breakfast) can be a do-it-yourself at the "Deck" house which has dining service for 16 (we can stash more service if you need it) or it's an easy walk to two general stores, a coffee shop and 3 restaurants.

Price? Dad says "about $40 to $50 per person per night" depending on which house you want and a reasonable percentage doubled up rooms - which includes breakfasts, all the macadamia nuts you can eat, lots of stories and lore (he's a writer and photographer) - BUT! You may each be required to play a tune for them to get this "special deal"....

Things I've Learned from this Thread and Why It Matters to Me:

1) Richard Morse is from Hawaii!

I'm from Hawaii too! (Oahu, not the Big Island. I grew up in Ewa Beach, but live in California now.) That's the last place I would have expected to find another concertina player!

2) AlexCJones is from Chicago, but plays Hawaiian and Tahitian music, AND concertina!

My main source of income is from the Hawaiian band that I play with. (I haven't been able to work the concertina into any of our tunes, but I get to play pennywhistle on several.) The leader of our band, aside from being a phenomenal ukulele player, is also one of the best and most creative Tahitian drummers in the San Fran area. (My wife also dances hula and Tahitian style.)

3) JoachimDelp speaks Spanish!

Por fin hay alguien aqui con quien puedo practicar mi espanol! B)

---------------

OK, now back to the main purpose of this thread:

- I'd love to do a concertina thing in Hawaii next year.

- I think the Volcano place is a most excellent place to have it. (A LOT easier for me to convince my wife!)

- The sooner something is set, the better chance concertinists will have to plan, plot, and connive.

And yes, I think Jim Lucas may be just a little bit crazy. :lol: