V Soprani

BigYin

Will someone tell him it's not a concertina and to take it to Melodeon.net instead.

I think there should be a rule that new members cannot join and immediately post on the "For Sale" section. This section should only be open to those who have posted at least say 5 times.

Will someone tell him it's not a concertina and to take it to Melodeon.net instead.

I think there should be a rule that new members cannot join and immediately post on the "For Sale" section. This section should only be open to those who have posted at least say 5 times.

Peter: the following is a quote from Paul on the Buy & Sell page on the main part of c.net

"Free classified ads for all things musical (not just concertina-related)

Be sure to also use the new Buy/Sell forum.Yes, I encourage you to post your item both here AND in the Buy/Sell forum to give your ad maximum exposure"

So it seems BigYin is just following this guidance.

Of course we could have a discussion about changing the rules, but I doubt it would have much impact on the operation of the forum. The essence of For Sale listings anywhere is to ignore those that don't interest one.

Theo

I do find it interesting that some people seem to get accounts here simply so they can sell stuff. Personally I wouldn't buy anything from anyone who had not been a reasonably active participant (They don't have to post every day or even every week.. but if it looks like their posts are limited to an introduction and then an attempt to sell stuff....).

I also find it funny when people post used instruments... particularly those of the mid range makers asking for as much as the new versions of the instruments. I can see it on the Suttners and Dippers... but Frank Edgley, Bob Tedrow and Richard Morse are just too prolific for their used instruments to demand new prices. (Though who knows, perhaps when they are no longer making instruments they will have value as collectors items :)).

Peter: the following is a quote from Paul on the Buy & Sell page on the main part of c.net

"Free classified ads for all things musical (not just concertina-related)

Be sure to also use the new Buy/Sell forum.Yes, I encourage you to post your item both here AND in the Buy/Sell forum to give your ad maximum exposure"

So it seems BigYin is just following this guidance.

Of course we could have a discussion about changing the rules, but I doubt it would have much impact on the operation of the forum. The essence of For Sale listings anywhere is to ignore those that don't interest one.

Another difference of terminology? :unsure:

To some, the term "classified ad" is considered to explicitly exclude advertisements for commercial establishments, and only to include the sale of personal items by individuals. To others, it means any and all advertisements, just "classified" by the type of article being offered for sale. (Similarly, a "flea market" to some is a place where used -- and only used -- items are sold in small stalls, though I've seen commercial "flea markets" composed of similar stalls, but where everything on sale was brand-new.)

The definitions here are up to Paul. He does take commercial display ads (regularly seen at the top of the page), for which he expects an up-front payment, rather than a percentage contribution after each sale. If he feels anyone needs to be informed of his rules, I'm sure he'll do so, but privately. He's not likely to broadcast it to the whole forum. (I speak from experience.) If anyone has recommendations of what the rules should be, they can always submit them to Paul, but to start a campaign in the Forum is silly. This is not -- and quite rightly not -- a democracy.

Meanwhile, the Forum has plenty of other things to spend time on, from helping beginners and organizing events to debating the (dis)advantages of music theory and posting photos and recordings. :)

I do find it interesting that some people seem to get accounts here simply so they can sell stuff.

As you say further on: "an attempt to sell stuff...." (my emphasis)

I wonder how many of those who treat C.net as nothing more than a commercial sales outlet actually succeed in selling anything as a result of posting here.

I specifically mean to exclude from my wonder 1) individuals looking to sell a personal or family possession who have discovered C.net in their search for more information, and 2) those (Theo being one) who may have a business interest in posting here, but whose participation includes more (usually far more) than just attempts to sell.

My guess is that few such commercial-only members actually sell anything through C.net, but I doubt we'll ever know for sure. I certainly don't expect them to come rushing in with replies to this query. B)

I do find it interesting that some people seem to get accounts here simply so they can sell stuff......

This is my point really. I realise that of course its up to Paul to decide who sells whatever, but I can't help feeling that it is wrong just to see C/net as purely a means of flogging something (frequently old tat) for an inflated price, without contributing anything else as a member.

It's as though the items on sale are only for making money whereas the likes of Theo also have an interest and enjoyment in what they sell. As such, when Theo etc. offer an item for sale it is as though they are giving us the opportunity to obtain their goods rather than having the items thrust at us.

It's as though the items on sale are only for making money whereas the likes of Theo also have an interest and enjoyment in what they sell. As such, when Theo etc. offer an item for sale it is as though they are giving us the opportunity to obtain their goods rather than having the items thrust at us.

You do meet such appreciative people here! Thanks Peter, I'll try and remember that wherever I'm selling something: "Now here is an opportunity to obtain my goods, I'm not asking £500, I'm not asking £400, I'm not even asking £300 or £200........"

But seriously I came here to try and learn about concertinas, and I've not been disappointed. So many people freely sharing information that in many cases has been the result of a lifetime search. Thank you all.

Folks, I can't speak for Paul, but the reality is that we are already way too busy to also look out for your buying judgment. Paul has several prominent disclaimers on this site to the effect of "caveat emptor," and we expect you to use such judgment for yourself. Simply dealing with obvious spam (for tractors or farmland or cell phones), monitoring everything that happens here, and putting out other digital fires takes me 30-60 minutes a day, time I used to spend practicing....And I'm not asking for appreciation or approbation here - I'm just telling you why I consider that ads like this one I can normally afford to ignore and hope you all think for yourselves about any purchase. And yes, if Paul smells abuse (he and I discuss this often) he will act quickly.

Thanks, now as Theo says lets get back to concertinas

Ken

Ok, a couple of points:

1. It is never considered polite to post in all caps. It is as rude as shouting in someone's face.

2. I reviewed this thread and no one described the instrument that you mentioned as Tat. That being said, having played Irish Music on Button Accordions for several years, I can say that the V. Soprani is not a brand I am familiar with and therefore would personally never buy one without a chance to play it.

3. Prior to yesterday, the only threads you have participated in were threads that you started to sell button accordions with no mention of concertina material what so ever. Now it is very possible that you are selling the instruments to fund a concertina, but we can only go by the information you provide us.

4. I do not play the English Concertina, I play the Anglo, and am happy to share my limited knowledge on the subject with anyone who asks. However, prior to one post yesterday (which I will address shortly) you have not asked questions, only sold. We don't force our opinions and knowledge onto people unless they ask.

--

Bill