Jeffries vs Wheatstone - what are the advantages of each?

I understand that layout makes a difference when it comes to dpecific keys - e.g. button accordion for key of D B/C and C#/D instruments result in different typical patterns when it comes to push/pull which affect expressiveness. But how does it work wrt concertina layouts?

The thing is that, yes, they are different, but 90% or so of the notes (on a 30 key) are in the same place in both systems, so nothing like as dramatic as the difference between B/C and C#/D melodeons (If trying to play in D). That would be more like comparing a C/G anglo with a Bb/F anglo for playing in the key of D.

Edited by Clive Thorne
  • Like 1

Personally, I find that when I'm playing a tune in D at quick session speed, it's very handy to have a C# in both bellows directions.  I started out playing a Wheatstone/Lachenal  layout, but bought a used Kensington with a modified Jeffries layout (actually 3 C#s!).  Wally Carroll uses the same layout as his default.  Now that is the only layout I play.  Some people seem able to switch back and forth, but I couldn't.

• Like 1

My CG is a somewhat modified Wheatstone / Lachenal (C# in both directions, top inside), the GD a Jeffries. I don't see any particular advantage to either system, and mostly switching back and forth is no problem. You get used to it.

• Like 2

Having only one C# compromises your phrasing occasionally in the same way as does the single F# on the left.  Having the high A on the push more handily placed is a bonus but it is there on the Jeffries layout,  at the end of the row.  

• Like 1