Dear Abby, I need more support

Dear Abby,

When I first started with the concertina just this last December my partner made this cushion for my practice chair!

PXL_20240318_005752562.thumb.jpg.5cb24d5632a7bc783c75d528145a5f2b.jpg

Well, as much as I love it, after about a half hour my boney butt finds its way down way down to the wood underneath the pillow, and after 45 to 60 minutes you should hear the groan when I get up…

I'm gonna have to find a way to very kindly ask her to add some padding or make it bigger.

Or maybe… do you think… her hearing my groans will be enough of a hint?

Signed,

Hoping for a Bigger Cushion

AKA just posting for fun

AKA but I really do groan

AKA and I do love the pillow!

1 hour ago, digver said:

Dear Abby,

When I first started with the concertina just this last December my partner made this cushion for my practice chair!

PXL_20240318_005752562.thumb.jpg.5cb24d5632a7bc783c75d528145a5f2b.jpg

Well, as much as I love it, after about a half hour my boney butt finds its way down way down to the wood underneath the pillow, and after 45 to 60 minutes you should hear the groan when I get up…

I'm gonna have to find a way to very kindly ask her to add some padding or make it bigger.

Or maybe… do you think… her hearing my groans will be enough of a hint?

Signed,

Hoping for a Bigger Cushion

AKA just posting for fun

AKA but I really do groan

AKA and I do love the pillow!

Dear Hoping for a Bigger Cushion

Perhaps you could tell her that you love it so much could you please have another one in a bigger, fuller size, so you have one for the seat and one for your back.... :)

OOOOOH!

Try anything else but a wooden chair to begin with - its like when you ride a bicycle for a long way and have to get off to relive pressure [ I know I am cyclist myself]..  Use a stool with padded top [ even a bar stool which is taller].   Stand up to play and take breaks!!😀

Maybe not the answer to what you are asking.

But a good drum throne, is a very nice option. They tend to have a lot of padding for extended sitting, Back rests on many. Height adjustment, etc.

Generally easily avaiable for short money.

@Morgana thanks for seeing the humor intended in my post!

@John Wild I was thinking something like a piece of hi-density foam underneath. Maybe talk my partner into seeing if it could be sewn in to the pillow?

@SIMON GABRIELOW thanks, but I'll stick with the chair. Other when bone hits bottom I find it comfortable. As far as standing up, that's something I'd like to get used to, but for the moment my task is play the right notes at the right time. So maybe I'll make standing up be the lesson after the last one in Easy Anglo 123.

@seanc a drum throne? I had to look that up!  I can see how the right shaped seat could be pretty comfortable.

Butt there's an alternative ...eat more ...  or add a little internal padding, I understand large fannies(US) are very fashionable on your side of the pond....

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, digver said:

@seanc a drum throne? I had to look that up!  I can see how the right shaped seat could be pretty comfortable.

You will generally find that in thrones..

They will tend to be a lot less $$$ than most "furniture".

They are meant for sitting for extended periods of time. So, they tend to bve very comfortable.

They are also made such that they adjust. So  your feet are flat on the ground. If you use your legs at all to hold you concertina, having your leg at the correct angle is important.

And finally, they are all made to be portable and to (generally) break down for travel and storage. 

14 hours ago, xgx said:

Butt there's an alternative ...eat more ...  or add a little internal padding, I understand large fannies(US) are very fashionable on your side of the pond....

they certainly are! but I'm glad to say it's a trend I haven't followed…at least to date

13 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Inflatable pillow!😊😊😊😊

Ya know, I have a little inflatable campseat. A Thermorest if you know what they are. It could work, but I wonder how easily I could modify it to be hexagon shaped?🤔

4 hours ago, seanc said:

So  your feet are flat on the ground. If you use your legs at all to hold you concertina, having your leg at the correct angle is important

That's something I thought about since it looks like most, if not all, have wheels. I tend to like sitting cross-legged with one knee over the over, so only one foot is on the floor. I can see myself rolling all over the place if there were wheels. I'm not quite sure I would like that. Though if I got good enough to play in performance it might be a crowd pleaser!

12 minutes ago, digver said:

That's something I thought about since it looks like most, if not all, have wheels. I tend to like sitting cross-legged with one knee over the over, so only one foot is on the floor. I can see myself rolling all over the place if there were wheels. I'm not quite sure I would like that. Though if I got good enough to play in performance it might be a crowd pleaser!

I think you are looking at the wrong thing if you are finding wheels.

a drum throne is meant to be very stable. And is not meant to move around. Feet on pedal placement is absolutely critical.

1 hour ago, seanc said:

I think you are looking at the wrong thing if you are finding wheels.

a drum throne is meant to be very stable. And is not meant to move around. Feet on pedal placement is absolutely critical.

Ahh, right and it makes sense. When I did a quick look at small images I was mistaking hefty feet for rollers. Thanks for pointing that out!