Help with Wheatstone button repair/replacement

I was investigating a stuck button in my concertina and found the button has broken in half (see photo). Can I glue it back together? It sort of looks like it’s been repaired before. If not, how could I find a replacement/someone to repair it in the US? Thanks!

IMG_3654.jpeg

I wouldn't attempt to glue it other than as a temporary bodge. If you have a small lathe it's fairly easy to turn a new core (the plastic part) from Delrin and fit the original cap to it so the replacement is invisible from the outside. Any competent concertina maker who makes their own buttons should be able to do the job. The problem with sourcing a replacement rather than repairing the original is that it might not be exactly the same size/shape/material.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I had this problem, I got a replacement from The Button Box, which is not particularly useful information.  However, it might be worth contacting Bob Snope, who was their chief technician, at the Squeezebox Garage (www.squeezeboxgarage.com) to see if he has one he's willing to sell you.

If the two ends fit together cleanly (and you’re certain you haven’t got one end turned the wrong way), then it’s worth trying to glue them with a cyanoacrylate glue (super glue, crazy glue, etc.). I’ve done it and it’s still holding up after years.

I have glued the buttons together again as David Barnert recommends, then I have splinted the repair with a wrap of superglue and paper. once fully set I re- cut the cross hole etc with a scalpel before re-bushing.

3 hours ago, d.elliott said:

I have glued the buttons together again as David Barnert recommends, then I have splinted the repair with a wrap of superglue and paper. once fully set I re- cut the cross hole etc with a scalpel before re-bushing.

I have done similar, excepth the the splint was with 24 hour araldite, with a few individual stands of fibre glass imbedded in it. Needed a bit of tidying up and sanding afterwards, but so far holding up well.

Edited by Clive Thorne

15 hours ago, David Barnert said:

If the two ends fit together cleanly (and you’re certain you haven’t got one end turned the wrong way), then it’s worth trying to glue them with a cyanoacrylate glue (super glue, crazy glue, etc.). I’ve done it and it’s still holding up after years.

11 hours ago, d.elliott said:

8 hours ago, Clive Thorne said:

I have done similar, excepth the the splint was with 24 hour araldite, with a few individual stands of fibre glass imbedded in it. Needed a bit of tidying up and sanding afterwards, but so far holding up well.

Well, it never occurred to me to splint it or clean up the cross hole, and I’ve had no further problems. A tiny drop of cyanoacrylate glue on each of the two broken surfaces (only on one face on each side of the hole) and some pressure (I clamped it for many minutes, but I have little doubt a few moments would have been enough, like on the commercial).

When you glue it together with superglue you can sprinkle a little bit of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) over the glue. The soda enhances the strenght an drying time of the glue. 

• Like 1