Dilemma Anglo Concertina vs 21 Button Hohner Accordion

I am very new to the world of concertinas and accordions. I've been very interested in the concertina for a while but I also like the 21-button accordion. It's been a long time since I've played music (10+ years--played flute, violin, upright bass, tin whistle, and cello over my school years). I've been going a little crazy on research and had a few potentials come up and I'm very torn. I like Irish trad music and would likely play a bit of that, but I also enjoy tengo, and music from movies (think Lord of the Rings or other fantasy types). Both options have the option to finance over time so I'm less worried about having to have a lot of money immediately but I definitely cannot do both! I've gotten the impression that if I can get a better quality than say a 300-400 dollar beginner concertina, that I should. 

The options:

Hohner 21 Button C/F accordion (circa 1920s) for around $500

Lachenal Anglo 32 button Concertina (circa 1910s) around $2000

And a Clare C/G 30 button anglo for around $2250.

I like the diatonic sound, and realize these are very different in size, layout, and entirely different instruments! I guess I would just like some perspective and also any ideas on if these are even a good deal! I'm ready for the deep dive, I'm just needing that little push!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18p8sFEKR6gem-Rc_1Ud6X8QSNBkwxrBK/view  to hear the Hohner--it does have some off notes. 

Thank you in advance! 

hoh 2.jpg

hoh 3.jpg

Hohner 1.jpg

lach 2.jpg

Lachenal 1.jpg

I have a Hohner accordion in C and C sharp, with 21 buttons, I inherited from my late father. As well as my 30 key anglo concertina in C an G ..

I know that the button playing system can be in a way similar ( for example 3rd button up accordion can be C, and 3rd button in Anglo ( middle row is also C (middle C)..

Notes diatonic, one note in.. another out. So when I play the accordion I am able to extend that knowledge of hotels but naturally on a bigger scale and bigger keyboard for fingers to reach.  Also, you have the basses on accordion, which leave your melody playing hand more work to do than on concertina, where you have both hands, and more fingers to play notes alone.

They each have their advantage and differences, but can well compliment each other as instruments.

You will probably find anglo concertina is used more frequently for traditional folk music, because it has a snappy and quick response in the fingers, and is smaller than accordion, and so you can easily play faster over time  And jump octaves with ease in the smaller space provided on the keyboard 

I play that accordion every month or so for moderate music works, and concertina for the faster, or even more wider range of notes and music it can present to me. 

Welcome to the forum! Copying-and-pasting (and lightly editing) my response from the other site for posterity:

If you're playing accompaniments as well as melodies, the melodeon (diatonic button accordion) is going to be easier and more affordable to pick up as a beginner to either instrument. The separation between the left and right hand is much clearer to understand. This is more applicable to your secondary interests like tango and soundtracks. The concertina is fully capable of these genres, but the learning curve is much steeper.

On the other hand, if you're mainly playing melodies and only a few accent chords here and there (i.e., most Irish music), the choice will be less clear. Personally I'd go for the concertina in this case; it's lighter, more portable, and both hands are roughly equally involved in playing. On the melodeon, you'll mainly be using your left hand to work the bellows and maybe occasionally press a chord button. But it also depends on what kind of sound you want. The melodeon will be double-reeded, so you'll have a bit of a tremolo effect.

A 32-button Anglo is going to be more capable of chromatic melodies than a 21-button melodeon, though your repertoire may or may not suffer from the constraint. If this is a concern, find out if the melodeon has accidentals on the chin end or if it's got low notes.

Both instruments have their charms. The "pressed wood" model of Hohner is one of my favorites both visually and acoustically. The melodeon is a C/F, so it will have a comparatively lower, richer tone than the much higher-pitched C/G concertina (the highest standard concertina tuning). A competent repair person will be able to fix the off notes. The fellow in the video said "we have an accordion guy", and maybe he just meant a guy who knew how to play it, but in case he also knows how to do simple repairs, it's worth asking if they could fix before you buy. And ask if it comes with a pair of shoulder straps. It was painful watching him try to keep it stable while playing. You can get a cheap pair from AliExpress or something, but more convenient if they're included.

Make sure the sellers know what they're talking about. I've been burned by purchasing on eBay before. $2k for a c/g Lachenal in good condition is a great deal. $500 for the pressed wood melodeon is also a great deal. If you can't try them in person, and the seller isn't one with an established reputation, I'd ask to see a video of all buttons being pressed in both bellows directions at least, and make sure they have an acceptable return policy.

Also worth noting: Outside of places like the UK, it's easier to find a repair person for an accordion of any type than for a concertina. The principles are the same but the concertina is definitely a more specialized skill.

I've found that playing melodeon makes me a better Anglo player, and that playing Anglo makes me a better melodeon player. I don't want to encourage wanton hedonism, but, why not both? :D

I'll add the disclaimer that I don't play a ton of Irish trad music, so others here will have better advice. Also, this recent thread will be of interest.

I play predominantly Irish trad and I also had a similar quandary. I started by being interested in Anglo concertina, found it challenging but interesting, but kept coming up against insufficient concertinas that held back my growth. I tried an English, realized I liked the Anglo more and upgraded to a faster hybrid which really made all the difference. Buuut I get obsessed with instruments and once I got the notion of a B/C accordion in my head I sold off my concertinas for a button accordion. I absolutely loved it, and I'm glad I dipped by toe in. Eventually though, the call of the concertina returned, and again I obsessively hunted. Fast forward some years and I've gone back and forth a number of times and since I don't make a ton of money, I could only really afford to have one nice accordion or concertina at a time. 

I more recently owned a Castagnari button accordion but concertina called for me once again and I sold it off to fund a Kensington concertina, which I have found for certain is  *the* concertina for me. Absolutely stellar. But now I also have a B/C box at the same time and that's the thing- the moral of the story is; maybe try both and see how you feel! 

They are different beasts with similar functions. I would say that concertina or button accordion both helped me get better with playing the other. The function of each row on the concertina (not the accidentals row) is very similar to the rows of an accordion (B/C and C#/D accordions are typically used for Irish music, for different reasons, C/F is not commonly used). 

You'll get something out of either of them and you'll grow accustomed to how the bellows movement works overall.

Good instruments are expensive and are hard to keep if you're not particularly financially secure, but if I could do it again I'd prioritize keeping both and sticking it out, because I had lost time I could have spent learning either box I couldnt keep. 

Some folks can only focus on one instrument at a time, and that's totally valid too, but for me, it was better to have them both around so when my obsessiveness kicked in I could put that energy into really learning.

Thank you for the input! I appreciate everyone taking a second to lend me perspective! I’m heavily leaning toward the Lachenal—if I can get the seller to answer a few questions. But I have a feeling I’ll be snatching up an accordion in the near future. My family is getting sick of me talking about it all, so I appreciate you all lending an ear! 

3 hours ago, Awk_Archy said:

My family is getting sick of me talking about it all, so I appreciate you all lending an ear! 

I feel this. My concertina obsession is definitely well known, despite my newbie status. Since it's so hard to try different free reed instruments, you almost have to talk it out when picking one to play. Want to learn trumpet? You can rent one easily in any moderately sized town. Want to play a selection of concertinas? Harder to do.

4 minutes ago, Dimble said:

I feel this. My concertina obsession is definitely well known, despite my newbie status. Since it's so hard to try different free reed instruments, you almost have to talk it out when picking one to play. Want to learn trumpet? You can rent one easily in any moderately sized town. Want to play a selection of concertinas? Harder to do.

Yes!! I was trying so hard to find a rental near me or just something to get a feel for it, and there’s not much. So I’m yammering the ears off of my family. I did take the plunge and went with the Lachenal. I’m praying I love it because lord knows I’ll be paying it off for a while! 

There's a theory that, if you're musical, it doesn't really matter what instrument you play. A good start is an instrument that your Mum or Dad plays, because it's available, and there's someone in the house who can tell you how to "operate" it. Or an instrument that some deceased relative bequeaths to you. Or one you find in a pawn shop, or get very cheap online, etc. etc.

That's how I started - my Dad played fiddle and mandolin; the fiddle was sacrosanct; so he showed me how to play the mandolin.

How does an Irishman come into possession of a wonderful Stridente Neapolitan mandolin? My Dad found it in a Dublin pawn shop, where he had gone to sell his melodion because his then fiancee had said "Either that melodion or me!" Dad saw the mandolin and swapped instead of selling. He always enjoyed playing the mandolin.

My beginnings in concertina were different. We didn't have one at home, but I'd always wanted one (for sea songs, etc.) When I had the funds, al I could find in Belfast was an East German 20-button, so I became an Anglo player. I now have my second upgrade in Anglos - a Crabb - and it's my main squeeze. I've tried Bandoneon (bought in a West Berlin junk shop the 1980s for 60 DM, which would be €30 nowadays) and Crane duet (which cost serious money from a reputable dealer), but the Anglo has remained my free-reed means of expression. 

So I say, if you can lay your hands on a playable concertina of any variety, take it up. The farther you progress, the more the potential repertoires will converge. At some point, you'll want a better instrument, but at least you'll know which type it should be!

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Anglo-Irishman said:

There's a theory that, if you're musical, it doesn't really matter what instrument you play. A good start is an instrument that your Mum or Dad plays, because it's available, and there's someone in the house who can tell you how to "operate" it. Or an instrument that some deceased relative bequeaths to you. Or one you find in a pawn shop, or get very cheap online, etc. etc.

Sound advice!  No harm in asking others for their experience but the most important thing is to get started.  It's easy to overthink the choice before you've tried to play.  Just get the instrument that is easily available/within your budget and dive in!

• Like 1