Concertina for Child

I was contacted by a parent of a 10 year old who attends a local contra dance and is interested in learning to play the Concertina. She currently is learning to play violin in school. 

We had a couple of great discussions via zoom . The 10 year old is very funny and serious about learning. I sent info about Anglo, English, and Duet systems as well as YouTube views of some of the great players in the UK. She wants to play the EC.

Are there any ECs for a child to start learning? 

Hi Randy, 

Both my children have recently started learning English concertina using a ‘normal’ tutor treble lachenal , kindly lent to us by Paul hardy. They are 8 and 10….it’s a nice responsive instrument and they are progressing rapidly …no problems with it being too big.

They are both having piano lessons as well and so are able to read music.

Best

Simon

9 minutes ago, digver said:

I work with about 260 of them and can confirm the variable quality

260 CONCERTINAS? I've heard about CAS, but you do need some professional help, you know? 😁

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Why not start them off of one of the eternally ever available GDR concertinas, they are affordable, and always available to buy .. then if interest fades as they grow up, or change mind, not gone too expensive, at this early stage🌝

That is certainly a possibility, and it's how I started (in my early 20s, not as a child). On the other hand, as with an adult beginner, a better quality instrument can be re-sold without much loss of value if they don't get on with it.

Yeah, this is sort of the eternal debate, is "cheap starter instrument" vs "invest more but get some back later."

Is the kid responsible and coordinated enough to take good care of a more expensive instrument? Is she a perfectionist? (It seems like some people don't mind a kind of clumsy instrument and others are really put off by not being able to play as smoothly on it.)

They are always there those GDR Kligenthal manufactured  instruments. My first one was one of those, and really quite fond of it.. although I did open it up to see how it worked! And it had wooden and metal parts inside, and quite durable to use. I should have kept it.. but I was curious to see how it worked, and I got my.  current 30 key Anglo soon afterwards anyway !😊

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW

What about hand size? What kind of difficultly will there be with a standard sized concertina meant for an adult sized person? Forgetting about price, would something like Marcus' Traveller be a better fit for a young person?

The above is coming from someone with little more than a month of experience with the concertina, so perhaps size is not an issue.

digger

The OP is looking for an English, remember.

One way to narrow things down would be budget.

Right now, the "student level" vintage English concertinas on Barleycorn Concertinas range from £550 to £850, or around $700 to $1000. Meanwhile, for modern instruments, the Sparrow is currently on sale for $400 and the Jackie is around $450.

So if your budget is $400, well, you're getting a Sparrow. If you have $1000, you've got more choices, including a vintage instrument if you're interested. And of course you could spend significantly more than that if you wanted to.

I don't know what the cost might be, but AC Norman makes a small English Concertina model if I recall correctly. They might be a very manageable size for a young'n and worth looking into

Edit- found the photo I was thinking of. Attached below:

IMG_20240127_215212.jpg

Edited by Oberon

• 2 weeks later...

Randy: I've deliberated with my grand-daughter about this and concluded a very sensible way to find out if they even like concertina would be:

If you have a I-pad device you can practice virtual concertina:
Its only $2.99 USD from Apple store site:

The Englitina is a remarkable app, and I've praise for Michael Eskin's work in general. It's also by far the cheapest way of trying out the concertina concept.

But, and this is a big but, you get no tactile cues to keep the fingers on the right button locations - the iPad screen is flat.

If the child can cope and play a tune then fine - they will be able to play on a 'proper' concertina also. However if they can't cope, then it doesn't mean that they couldn't play a proper concertina. I play many different English tinas, and I struggle to get a sensible tune out of the Englitina. I start off OK, but my fingers slide slightly off position, and I haven't got the centring cues that real buttons provide.

Yes, Paul, as we are accomplished box players of fine instruments, I agree its not the same, but it only cost $2.99 to find the flaws, rather than the $500+ that beginners are shelling out for Chinese imitators that don't even work as well as the Englitina. I've had so many students that I got hooked on concertina, only to find that they they stopped playing to take up the "Next Folk Fad", leaving them with a few thousand dollars worth of box. When I taught Bodhran, all my students started on a carpet sample square or a pizza box, because it wouldn't take many lessons to find they had no sense of rhythm.

---Matt