Music clip for concertina.

Those interested in Geoffrey Crabb's picture may be interested in the cover picture to David Elliott's Concertina Repair Manual.  On the top left of his concertina is an oblong bolt (sometimes surface mounted, sometimes recessed) which is actually a bolt normally found buried at the other end of the long end bolts.  It therefore comes with its two fixing holes and in the middle a threaded screw hole, to which the readily removable card holder could be affixed.

Les Branchett

Thanks for this Geoff , I have never ever seen one even in Antique shops and would not have known what it was if I saw it.

By the way I still own and play the Jeffries CG I swapped for a Jones concertina in your shop. I thought my life might be in danger when I got home, £125 was a lot of money then. Such was the Sales ability of Neville. I met you and your Dad at the same time. 

WE have of course been friends ever since.

Have a good year.

Al

16 minutes ago, Alan Day said:

Thanks for this Geoff ,

By the way I still own and play the Jeffries CG I swapped for a Jones concertina in your shop. I thought my life might be in danger when I got home, £125 was a lot of money then. Such was the Sales ability of Neville.

Have a good year.

Al

Hi Al,

£125 may have been a lot then but I think you'll agree, besides surviving, it was good investment and one you have had 40+ years hands on use of.  

Take care 

Geoff

Best thing I ever did Geoff. It was not long after I had it that John Kirkpatrick had a play of it and told me what a pleasure it was to play a concertina so well in tune.

Al

2 hours ago, Geoffrey Crabb said:

[1] ...one would be hard pressed to find an original concertina one, adapting may have to be the answer.

[2] Picture of Music clip anchor in Salvation Army instrument

[1] I have one which was gifted me by (I think) a member of this parish some time ago. I believe they are known as 'lyres', because of the shape. I suspect it may be larger than the ones which came with Salvation Army 'tinas?

[2] There is a mounting point on my George Jones Ab/Eb Salvation Army Anglo, though I don't quite see how it all worked because the mounting point is obscured by the hand-strap?

Unfortunately, the two items don't match each other and I can't see an easy way to adapt either one to ensure an elegant mating of the lyre to the 'tina...🙁

Edited by Roger Hare

Geoffrey, thanks for the picture, I was  curious about the clip, 

It's from a time when I was a lad, interested in this art of music, and all things musical and quirky. 

Another century, like.

Sorry, in my earlier post I referred to a bolt on the top left when I should have said nut (though it's more of a threaded retaining plate).  Please don't mention that I don't know my nuts from my bolts, as
I used to work at The Institution of Mechanical Engineers!

Les Branchett