suitable leather source

Clothing leather will have the flexibility you need,  in the U.K. it’s often called Nappa. Sheep or goat should work.  Goat is a bit tougher, but sheep nappa is easier to find.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wunks said:

Kane, I checked facebook marketplace for leather pieces here and then in Ohio.  Several listings.

Thanks, I will check.

5 hours ago, Theo said:

Clothing leather will have the flexibility you need,  in the U.K. it’s often called Nappa. Sheep or goat should work.  Goat is a bit tougher, but sheep nappa is easier to find.

Thank you for giving me some insight to what kind of leather would be best.

6 hours ago, Theo said:

Do you know if deer would be suitable?  Tanned hides are readily available here this time of year.

I have no experience with deer leather.  The kind of tanning is equally important, so depends on the process.  Making good leather is a slow process so if deer leather is available during or shortly after the hunting season it may not be fully tanned.

Yes.  The Mohawk valley region here in NY. was a center for leather work early on.  I've come across caches of remnants from all over the US, seasoned, not green hides.  It would be nice to know what is usable for concertina work.

Tandy Leather
6863 Southland Drive
Middleburg Heights OH 44130  USA
27 miles from Kent

lambskin for gussets
They have lots of other leathers and tools as well. Sometimes, though rarely, they have goat. 

It’s difficult to skive but some makers use cowhide for ribs.  They have lots of this stuff. Look for a thin black garment or upholstery type of skin.  

You can find better deals on sites like eBay but you might want the experience of visiting the store to see these leathers in person to get a better idea of the different materials. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Wally Carroll said:
Tandy Leather
6863 Southland Drive
Middleburg Heights OH 44130  USA
27 miles from Kent

lambskin for gussets
They have lots of other leathers and tools as well. Sometimes, though rarely, they have goat. 

It’s difficult to skive but some makers use cowhide for ribs.  They have lots of this stuff. Look for a thin black garment or upholstery type of skin.  

You can find better deals on sites like eBay but you might want the experience of visiting the store to see these leathers in person to get a better idea of the different materials. 

Very, very useful! Thanks a lot for this.

Another useful source of clothing leather is to buy leather garments from charity shops — I think you call them thrift stores.