Crotty's, Kilrush

Here's the film Fleadh Cheoil, Kilrush 1967, a little glimpse of the culture the place was part  of and perhaps a last connection to.

I remember one occasion in there, well. I remember several but this one in particular, when we took Kitty Hayes there. Kitty had a big memory of going there in the early sixties or so with her husband Josie and Paddy Killoran. The two men went to play with Mrs Crotty and brought Kitty along. She sat in the corner all night, pining to get her hands on the concertina but she was, reading between the lines, basically ignored all night.

When we went up, we were invited to play in Kilrush if I remember correctly. Kitty made a point of us playing inside Crotty's for a good while. I always felt she was making the point she was still there, playing her heart out while the other three present on the night she felt ignored were a distant memory. And she was flying it.

Edited by Peter Laban

5 hours ago, Peter Laban said:

I remember one occasion in there, well. I remember several but this one in particular, when we took Kitty Hayes there. Kitty had a big memory of going there in the early sixties or so with her husband Josie and Paddy Killoran. The two men went to play with Mrs Crotty and brought Kitty along. She sat in the corner all night, pining to get her hands on the concertina but she was, reading between the lines, basically ignored all night.

When we went up, we were invited to play in Kilrush if I remember correctly. Kitty made a point of us playing inside Crotty's for a good while. I always felt she was making the point she was still there, playing her heart out while the other three present on the night she felt ignored were a distant memory. And she was flying it.

That was the day the Mrs Elizabeth Crotty 1885-1960 plaque was unveiled Peter, on Sunday 21st May 2006, and you told me that story about Kitty, Josie and Paddy Killoran.

I was there and took a few photos that are in the Mrs Crotty Plaque Unveiled thread.