House Dance: Dance Music Played on the Anglo-German concertina by musicians of the house dance era

Morgana

Here is the Index. It comes with a "digital booklet" that you read as webpages. Looks like it was originally a CD/ROM that was loaded into a zip file. Photos, info, lots of good stuff!

I am definitely looking forward to getting into this! :)

Table of Contents

Part I.  The concertina in the world of the house dance
Chapter 1.  Introduction

Chapter 2.  Old-style octave playing on the Anglo concertina

Chapter 3.  In their own words: playing for house dances

Chapter 4.  Nineteenth century social dances

Chapter 5.  A global music

Chapter 6.  A harvest lost: the banning of house dancing in early twentieth century Ireland

Part II.  The musicians: An archive

Chapter 7.  Australia
     Dooley Chapman
     George Bennett
     Con Klippel
     Jim Harrison
     Charlie Ordish
     Fred Holland
     Clem O'Neal
     Susan Colley
     Ernie James
     Percy Yarnold

Chapter 8.  Ireland

Group 1:  Musicians of the house dance repertoire
     Mary Ann Carolan
     Ella Mae O'Dwyer
     Katey Hourican
     Terry Teahan
     Stack Ryan
     Jim Droney
    Martin Howley

Group 2:  Musicians of the céilí dance era
     Elizabeth Crotty
     William Mullaly
     Michael Doyle
     Patrick Flanagan
     Tom Barry

Chapter 9.  England
     William Kimber
     Scan Tester
     Ellis Marshall
     Fred Kilroy
     Eric Holland
     Bill Link

Chapter 10.  South Africa
     Faan Harris
     Chris Chomse
     Kerrie Bornman
     Hans Bodenstein
     Willie Palm
     Pietie Prinsloo
     Silver de Lange

Chapter 11.  Modern players in the old style
     Australia: Ian Simpson, Ray Simpson, Keith Klippel, Peter Ellis, Dave de Hugard
     England: Will Duke, Dave Prebble, Harry Scurfield
     Ireland: Sean O'Dwyer
     South Africa: Stephaan van Zyl

Chapter 12.  Playing in octaves: a brief tutorial

Chapter 13:  Resources

Discography

Edited by Morgana
Detail added

2 hours ago, Morgana said:

Here is the Index. It comes with a "digital booklet" that you read as webpages. Looks like it was originally a CD/ROM that was loaded into a zip file. Photos, info, lots of good stuff!

Yes, it was originally a CD-ROM format and I would like to inform you that it has been republished as a book last year.

https://www.amazon.com.au/House-Dance-Anglo-German-concertina-musicians/dp/1953208037

• 3 months later...

I bought a printed copy of this wonderful book (l always prefer a printed copy to an ebook).   @Dan Worrall really knows to turn a phrase, the book is great reading and l am having trouble putting it down! So a big thanks to Dan for this excellent and very enjoyable book. Highly recommended!

I have his book on Chris Droney sitting on the shelf to read next! 😊

Has anyone bought the digital download via the link in the original post? I haven’t bought from Gumroad.com before. As it uses bank card details I am careful.
Ta

4 hours ago, Morgana said:

I bought a printed copy of this wonderful book (l always prefer a printed copy to an ebook).   @Dan Worrall really knows to turn a phrase, the book is great reading and l am having trouble putting it down! So a big thanks to Dan for this excellent and very enjoyable book. Highly recommended!

I have his book on Chris Droney sitting on the shelf to read next! 😊

Thank you, Morgana, that was very kind. I’m always very happy when someone enjoys my work.

Keep an eye out later this year for my new book on William Kimber, another iconic player and a fascinating person. It’s a complete revision and extension of my 2005 book on him.

Back to House Dance, is old time bush dancing still going strong in the rural Aussie outback? I really enjoyed experiencing it when I visited there 15 years ago with the late Peter Ellis, who was an amazing Anglo player and dance historian.

4 hours ago, Dan Worrall said:

Back to House Dance, is old time bush dancing still going strong in the rural Aussie outback? I really enjoyed experiencing it when I visited there 15 years ago with the late Peter Ellis, who was an amazing Anglo player and dance historian.

Yes still going strong :)

I am very much looking forward to the Chris Droney book. My only crit with that one is that it doesn't sit flat on the music stand. So I hope you don't mind, I bought a second copy and rebound it with comb binding so it now sits flat. I normally hate to alter my books, but I know this one will get a lot of use! 

I have your Anglo-German concertina social history books on my wish list and I'll definitely look out for your new one later this year. :)

9 hours ago, Tiposx said:

Has anyone bought the digital download via the link in the original post? I haven’t bought from Gumroad.com before. As it uses bank card details I am careful.
Ta

Yes I originally bought the book from Gumroad without any problem. :)

• Thanks 1

My wife just bought me this book for my birthday. The hard copy book has q-code you can scan to listen to the audio, rather than the cd.

Bush dancing is still strong here in the Aussie bush, although concertinas have made way to fiddles and banjos etc for the most part. Thanks to Dan, the concertina may make a comeback. The book is a brilliant resource.

• Like 2

I bought the digital booklet earlier today and extracted the zip file. Unfortunately I've had no success viewing the files on an Android phone and I'm not really interested in viewing them on the laptop computer, though it would be simple to do.

I wonder how directly the html formating could be converted to a viewable epub? I'll give it a try, but not tonight.

1 hour ago, digver said:

I bought the digital booklet earlier today and extracted the zip file. Unfortunately I've had no success viewing the files on an Android phone and I'm not really interested in viewing them on the laptop computer, though it would be simple to do.

I wonder how directly the html formating could be converted to a viewable epub? I'll give it a try, but not tonight.

Is the zip file a document, or audio?

I might be wrong, but I would imagine it would be the audio files to accompany the book/text.

16 minutes ago, Roo boy said:

Is the zip file a document, or audio?

I might be wrong, but I would imagine it would be the audio files to accompany the book/text.

It is effectively the CD Rom with an index html files that leads to a series of other html documents, all with embedded links to the sound and files. :)

Yes, the zip file is as @Morgana wrote, its a file hierarchy of html files with links to the images and audio files.

I'll get it figured out but it will have to wait till I can get to it. Or I might be lazy and just order a copy of the printed book.