Popping sound... pads? Had a look inside, advice appreciated.

This afternoon I started to get a air popping sound on three of my keys (both push and pull) on the left side of Lachenal Anglo Concertina. Searching this site it seems that the culprit is Valve pads that have curled or moved. I had a copy of the original Concertina Maintenance Manual, and very carefully opened it up to have a look. (Photos attached).

Please excuse my novice questions.

I'm assuming that the larger reeds/pads are the deeper notes, but I'm not sure which notes are which reeds. Some of the valve obviously don't sit flat, would that be part of the problem?

Other posts on this site recommend taking the reeds out if they are lightly curled and rolling them the other way. Will they come off if I gently pry them? I was worried that they would rip, and I don't have an of the recommend glues or valve pads to add new ones.

I do have some very small spare pads (big thanks to @Chris Ghent who sent me some when I ran in a pad problem many years ago), but I also need to source pads of all sizes (any pointers/seller recommendations appreciated). For personal reasons, making my own is not an option.

There also seem to be the occasional valve pins missing (on one when they appears to be holes for two). I don't know if this is something I need to be worried about. I bought the Lachenal from Andrew Norman way back in 2005 and assume that's the way it was then as nothing has ever rattled inside. (Touch wood).

My last question is will I be causing any damage if I continue to play if for a few days with the popping? I am booked into do an online workshop with Brenda Castle on Saturday night (Aus time) which I am really looking forward to.

Thanks for reading this far. All thoughts and advice appreciated. 

Left Inside 1.jpg

Left INside 2.jpg

Left Inside 3.jpg

Left inside 4.jpg

Edited by Morgana
Photos were too big

If the popping occurs while playing, and the volume suddenly gets slightly louder, then yes it is probably a curled or stiff valve that belatedly kicks into action. No chance of damage, but it can be mentally unsettling and/or distracting.

Also check the valves on the other side of the reed pan as they don't have any valve pins. You can remove the reed pan by inserting your thumb into the hole and gently prying the pan out of the end. Just make sure to put it back in the same location - many concertinas have small pen marks on the chamois to ensure proper alignment.

Valves are easy to replace, and I'd recommend getting some spares just in case.

You can see which button opens which hole and then figure out which reeds and valves correspond on the reed pan. The larger reeds are the lower notes.

Pads would only make noise (if any) when closing, if you are quickly releasing the buttons from full push when playing.

Gary

3 minutes ago, Theo said:

Just to be clear the parts you are asking about are "valves".  Pads are something else.

Sorry for the confusion. The white leather things in the picture. I’m definitely out of my depth here but trying to learn. Thanks for your patience. 

The "white leather things" in your photo are valves.  "Pads" are the discs on the end of each lever that lift off the corresponding air hole when you push a button.  There are a lot of parts inside a concertina 😄!

Edited by Bill N
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Ghent said:

Also, the black on the partition chamois is a sign of a leak between the chambers. It may be that the reedpan support has shifted a little in that corner.  

Thank you, I was wondering about that.  It is definitely due a service (it's been 18 years since I bought it from Andrew Norman). I know the service/repair books are closed at the Concertina Shop at present and so far haven't had any luck trying to contact anyone else (I was using the probably outdated Folk Federation list). I'm definitely not up to the task and am currently trying to work out what my options are. I don't want to send it overseas unless I absolutely have to but will seek recommendations if it comes to that. 

Thanks everyone I really appreciated your help and time. :)