Tedrow has arrived and it is FANTASTIC!!!

I had no idea what a tremendous difference a really well made concertina would make in learning to play.  I am telling you, if you are a newbie like me, get the very best you can afford and then move up.  This one is so easy to play, I don't think I will ever want or need another one.  The straps are really nice, the buttons are a perfect size and respond amazingly fast, and the bellows are so easy!  I had no idea! The whole thing is beautiful to look at too so it is a win/win all the way!  I strongly suggest if you can find one of these to get it.  The good part of all of this is starting out with a crappy one, then getting one a little bit better and then THIS one makes you know you have found the ONE for you.  So happy!  

• Like 6

I am having to send the Tedrow back to fix whatever is gong on with the number 1 button in the middle row right hand side, I think it is the c/b one.  I am also trying to learn the notes themselves, not just the numbers from the tabs. Anyway, it gets stuck from time to time and I spoke with Mr. Tedrow and he said it could be the button, pad or maybe a spring since the button itself doesn't appear to be stuck any lower than any of the others except for one time last night.  Maybe it got jostled too much during shipping?  I thought maybe it would get better over time and being played but I guess it isn't going to fix itself :(.  It is only rarely but for this complete novice it is annoying so I can only imagine how aggravating it would be when I am a much better player.  I have been playing and practicing with it everyday anyway and am learning a lot and still loving this concertina and hate having to let it go even for a few days since it is something I am really enjoying.  It is easy to play and I am so glad I made this purchase.  I decided to start learning some Christmas songs and Gary Coovers book "Christmas Concertina" is very good for an Anglo concertina but since mine is in a Jeffries layout (top rows) it is forcing me to learn alternative ways to play so it sounds right.  His books are still very good for me to learn and for the most part work just fine with my concertina and I am glad that I am having to learn to figure out another way to play parts of the songs.   Hence, learning the actual notes and reading the music.  I do a little at a time and then tackle the next part and add it to what I can play.  I think this will be very good for me in the long run giving me the knowledge and capability to play almost anything.  I love this thing it is so much fun!  I still recommend to anyone to get the best you can afford along with the books and the encouragement and help from so many good people here, you will have a blast!

Edited by Sandra A

Even dream machines can have 'teething' problems when you are new to using them. I hope and am sure other here will also hope you soon get back to your new found novelty🌝. It is also good to learn to find the notes and adapt them to your own way ( I think anyway).. as that is something I had to do years back when I first started having to go through the process myself.

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW
  • Like 1

I really wasn't expecting there to be any problems with this one though and thought it would be years before it needed any type of work.  Then again, it is brand new and might need adjustments as it gets played more and more.  I suppose learning the notes is a good thing but today, I have been finding what I need by ear.  That is so much easier for me than learning a new language (reading music is a new language in many ways)

1 hour ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

It is also good to learn to find the notes and adapt them to your own way ( I think anyway)

and so am finding and adapting them like you said.  But I have written them all down and where they are (drew myself a picture too) so it should easier to remember since once I have written something I find it much easier to remember it later.  I think it will be a quick turn around and hopefully have it back before the end of the week or by the first part of next week.

Thank you Simon and all of you others too for all of your encouragement on this adventure through the concertina world.  It really does help newbies like myself.  

Most every concertina of modern manufacture that I've owned has needed adjustment of some sort. (and let's not even talk about the antiques!) They are complex things and made by hand. Nevertheless, you'll have fun with it.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Ken_Coles said:

Most every concertina of modern manufacture that I've owned has needed adjustment of some sort.

I thought it was probably normal and you saying that yours have needed adjustment too makes me feel so much better.  I don't think I ever want an antique one :)  I want one I can play and enjoy with no problems.  Even with this it is still fun, annoying but fun.

The concertina I had least teething problems with was my first one ... A 20 key Anglo; one of those made in GDR ( in 1980s)!  It had buttons on lever mechanism with rubber like washers...! Very simply made inside but it kept working .. that is until.i went up to my 30 button later on, ( as for 20 button one)..then Curiosity made me open it up to see how it was made ( so long since passed on)🌝 My current one has tendancy to cause little problems here and there, but nothing too much that I cannot adjust myself. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:
4 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

but nothing too much that I cannot adjust myself

Since I just got this and paid a lot for it, I don't want to be learning on it and really mess it up.  I don't even want to open it.  I'll continue learning to fix them on the Bastari and then if something else happens to this one, maybe I'll give it a try.  I did get David Elliott's book and then there is you tube for all kinds of information also.  I can't afford $100 a week to send it back and forth for adjustments and/or repair.

Whilst your waiting may I suggest that you sit down and write out all the notes you have on the push Right hand and Left hand and the pull notes. When you have these in front of you see what notes repeat. 

How you could do a complete scale on the push and on the pull. If you havn't got one buy a chord book and start writing out where chords are on the push and on the pull. Many tune books write down the chords .Try an easy one and start planning how you would play it.

Finally start counting a tune in bars and see how the notes fit into each bar. Hum the tune and count the bars as you are walking.

When you get your concertina back ,my word what a good player you will be.

Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Alan Day said:

Whilst your waiting may I suggest that you sit down and write out all the notes you have on the push Right hand and Left hand and the pull notes. When you have these in front of you see what notes repeat. 

I did that yesterday.  I have a diagram where each note is exactly like you have suggested and yes some of them do repeat.  My understanding of that is so you can reach it from other places with it being different on whether it is on the push or pull.  

1 hour ago, Alan Day said:

buy a chord book and start writing out where chords are on the push and on the pull. Many tune books write down the chords .

I have a book that seems to be very thorough on chords and will definitely take your advice on this.  

1 hour ago, Alan Day said:

my word what a good player you will be.

That is my goal.  I know it won't happen overnight but since I am really enjoying learning all of this on my new concertina I will get there.  I am better player this week than I was a week ago so am making progress a step at a time and loving it the whole way. :)  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

By the time you get it back you will also probably have found you were even having dreams about it 😊😊 

Ha ha ha!  You are so funny!  I think he will have it tomorrow since I sent it express and he said he will work on it Wednesday and send it back to me the same or following day so I should have it back by Friday.  Yea!

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Easy Anglo 1-2-3 book has information about left-hand chords, especially on the last two pages.

Wow!  I haven't gotten that far in it yet so didn't know that.  I just looked and I thank you for letting me know that.  I believe it will help me a lot.  I really do like his books and have bought several of them.

Sandra

In an old publication - Concertina & Squeezbox Magazine - there was a great article on Left hand chords.  I've enclosed a snapshot here.  If you send me a PM with your email address, I'll forward a .pdf file of the whole article

Alex West

Left Hand Chords.jpeg

• Thanks 1