Stagi quality improved recently?

I've heard rumors that somebody took over the Stagi business and has improved their quality. Has anybody confirmed this? Specifically the English system?

(For context, I'm a youth beginner looking into a Stagi Gremlin 48 button for $500.)

There's a thread here which may help answer your question - at least partially - it jumps about a bit. It does however, link to a video describing what goes on, which was made by a visitor to the factory...

The company concerned is called ConcertineItalia. The models are described but have model numbers, rather than names, so it's not clear which (if any) is the 'Gremlin'.

In a spirit of 'even-handedness', the spec' for the A-30 looks reasonable, but I guess all the usual caveats apply when considering purchasing one of these low-ish end concertinas - wherever they are made...

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Thanks 1

I watched the video described here, which I think was made by one of the c.net people? And found it very interesting. It seems two delightful ladies have bought most of the equipment from the old manufacturer, and are now producing the concertinas🌝

I do not know myself how they are to say; but all I can say it was lovely setting in Italy!

I have my one and only Hohner branded Anglo 30 key instrument, which I bought in 1999 ( in UK).. and later on found it was made in Italy by the Brunner Musica ( now no longer trading) and possibly Stagi.

I have been happy with my instrument, and it has done me well over two decades, you can get teething problems .. but once overcome I find ( personally) the steel reed strong tone very pleasing. But there again I have only ever used this concertina of mine🌝.

Steel reeds, resin plastic buttons, reeds mounted on wooden blocks,with felt valve flap thingies . The plastic is small traditional size buttons and 'plastic' I use generally in term ( as i see no reason not to use it myself ( my own thoughts) 

How they are now I do not know.. but best of luck with your decision.

You can hear my own Hohner (Stagi made) on my YouTube channel to get idea of sound and action; type in my name (Simon Gabrielow ,) and go to videos to see?🌝🌝

Note; I am NOT a paid brand ambassador for the company😊😊

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW
Silly phone need microscope to see it!;
  • Thanks 1

There have been plenty of posts about their single Hayden model, but I don't recall comments about their other models - but I may not have noticed.

For example my post in this thread. *

But like me, buyers of these instruments will mostly be beginners with nothing to compare them with. I replaced mine because it was too heavy, not because of perceived poor quality. And are rebadged ones of the same quality?

* The OP in that thread runs Red Cow Music in the UK. I think he is claiming that Concertine Italia's quality control is better than it was.

• Like 2

I do not know how heavy or light the other makes are . But my instrument is more than light enough to hold easily in just one hand! And I am never aware of it being an issue. As for cheap, and beginners, I also believe that you can get a lot with a little less sometimes🌝 As I said recently elsewhere ..you can create a masterpiece with but a pencil if need be ( and do not need a full set of paints)🌝🌝

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW
Silly phone pad again!
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Stagi concertina’s are vastly improved and they needed to be. Here at Red Cow Music we stopped stocking Stagi for a few years. They were out of tune  and badly made.

Now they are quite excellent concertinas well made in tune and we get good support from Concertine Italia.

So if you want a good quality Italian built concertina you will not go wrong with Stagi.

Steve Morrison (Red Cow Music)

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2023 at 8:41 PM, DaveRo said:

There have been plenty of posts about their single Hayden model, but I don't recall comments about their other models - but I may not have noticed.

For example my post in this thread. *

But like me, buyers of these instruments will mostly be beginners with nothing to compare them with. I replaced mine because it was too heavy, not because of perceived poor quality. And are rebadged ones of the same quality?

* The OP in that thread runs Red Cow Music in the UK. I think he is claiming that Concertine Italia's quality control is better than it was.

I am not claiming just stating that the quality is now excellent.

steve

On 11/11/2023 at 10:26 AM, Steve Morrison said:

The Stagi concertina’s are vastly improved and they needed to be. Here at Red Cow Music we stopped stocking Stagi for a few years. They were out of tune  and badly made.

Now they are quite excellent concertinas well made in tune and we get good support from Concertine Italia.

So if you want a good quality Italian built concertina you will not go wrong with Stagi.

Steve Morrison (Red Cow Music)

Steve, I'm very glad to hear this! I think I will go for one of these. Thank you so much for the feedback!

Edited by pioneerbird