What to get? So many and I don't know which one/type to purchase...HELP please!

1 hour ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

awesome, Sandra - and I‘ve been there so many times, eagerly anticipating the arrival of a certain parcel - I wish you a wonderful journey with your newly acquired first „real“ concertina

I'm so excited.  Thank you for all of your suggestions and help.  I'm sure I will be asking many more questions once it arrives.  It is a hybrid so not what I had initially considered a "real"one.  :)  It does have the Jeffries layout that I wanted and the 30 buttons.  Wish me luck once it gets here.  I'll probably be playing my fingers off.  :) 

• Like 2

Well done (at last).. now you know what a massive world the free reed family of instruments covers! Many people do not realise the choice out there. When I was waiting for my Anglo; years ago.. I spent time reading up on the 30 key system and prepared myself for the leap ahead in playing ( from my 20 key one).. so by time I got the newer one.. I already had method practiced Inn my mind's eye. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

When I was waiting for my Anglo; years ago.. I spent time reading up on the 30 key system and prepared myself for the leap ahead in playing ( from my 20 key one)

Simon, you are so right.  I have looked for and printed the Jeffries 30 button layout so I can be studying it and know where the notes are when it gets here.  Excited doesn't cover it for me.  Estatic maybe? I feel like this was the right thing for me to do and I think this will be the only one I will ever need.  Since it is new, I guess there will be a breaking in period for it and myself too.  I will treat it gently like a new baby and play it with care as I grow accustomed to it and learn to play this wonderful, beautiful instrument so in time together we will reach it's full potential, kind of like aging gracefully and getting better all of the time.  I'm so happy that I called him, I never dreamed I would be able to get one of these.

• Like 1

What a cheerful post of yours it has made a lot of us smile on this.C.net ..I have no doubts!😊😊

Sometimes I think an instrument picks it's owner like a favourite pet; and I am hopeful that your obvious enthusiasm will endure, all the hurdles, and little errors inevitably ahead in learning process.. and that you will soon become a confident player; and share your progress on this site once you feel brave enough to do so?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

... I spent time reading up on the 30 key system and prepared myself for the leap ahead in playing ( from my 20 key one).. so by time I got the newer one ...

I have bought plenty of concertinas (mainly of the English system, but also several Anglos and one very beautiful Crane Duet; all for my playing) over the years - anyway, a very special 20b Anglo is my most recent acquisition (with a terribly long period of waiting for its arrival), and I'm only playing that one at the present time, it's a fantastic system, so much can be done with its limited keyboard!

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
first I had to retry inserting the link - and then being at it...
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

... very special 20b Anglo is my most recent acquisition (with a terribly long period of waiting for its arrival), and I'm only playing that one at the present time, it's a fantastic system, [1] so much can be done with its limited keyboard! (my emphasis!)

[1] Hooray!!!! Say it again - keep saying it...

Care to tell us precisely what it is? I'd love to know if I've already got one...😊😊😊

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1

Yes,I agree, a lot can be played and made of a 20 button Anglo concertina alone (I had already found 300 pieces of music to suit my 20 button in C and G years back).  It was made in GDR and very reliable to use.

And there's one player we all know of here on C.net that shows (as goes 20 button concertinas).. how marvellously they can be played (C.W)..

3 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

Care to tell us precisely what it is? I'd love to know if I've already got one...😊😊😊

gladly - I reckon you've followed the link as provided in my previous post; what I can say about the instrument is that it's a C/G in the usual octave but only 5" (127mm) across the flats (exactly like a piccolo), it is extremely loud (despite having leather baffles which I thus didn't even consider to remove), but with a nevertheless sweet and pleasant (full and rich) tone.

As per Andrew Norman it's most likely of continental origin, possibly by an (unnamed) maker in Germany, but built in the manner of English makes (dove-tailed reed shoes in individual reed chambers, arranged radially). I had to change the pull reed behind LH button 6 (from C to A) to fit my needs (analogous to my other Anglos, which I had in part also adapted in this way myself).

It's really fun to play it standing up (which I'm hardly able to to with my Englishes, given my 8-fingers style...), as premiered at my eldest son's wedding.

Feel free to ask, you're very welcome.

Best wishes - 🐺

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
typo