Abc Navigator

Lester Bailey

It appeared on thesession.org some months ago - the largest complaint about it was that the help button didn't do anything so we cannot get an overall view of its capabilities.

There is no contact email or anything to get this chased up.

• 2 years later...
I discovered this via www.thesession.org. A new ABC editor/player/printer called ABC Navigator 2. Seems very good to me, does all that ABC2WIN does but in a less DOS more XP manner. Have a look, it's free from HERE

Yes, I d/l it, but there are no help files... Any idea how it works? It would save lots of time to figure it out. Thx jjj

I've been using ABC Navigator2 for a couple of years. The latest version is a huge improvement!

Basically, you can open multi-tune abc files with ABC Navigator2, and it converts the abc to scores, so that you can scroll through an entire collection.

You can also use it to write abc tunes, checking from the scoring as you go.

• 3 months later...

I've tried ABC Navigator a few times, but I've always been frustrated by the lack of any help files and gone back to ABC2Win. However, that keeps crashing, so I'm having another try with ABC Navigator.

Up to a point, it's very intuitive, and then suddenly I can't get it to do what I want, and can't figure it out. Can anyone help? Specifically:

1) When I first open a file I get 3 windows: a list of tunes, a panel showing the ABC text, and a panel showing notation. So far so good, but I can't edit the text window. If I go ABC Tune/Edit from the main menu, the text panel enlarges and I can now edit text, but all the menu options are now disabled (apart from "Help", which doesn't) and the menu icons don't work. In fact nothing seems to work except I can edit the text and play back the tune. So my question is, having created/edited the ABC text, how can I save it and get back to showing all three windows again?

2) Printing. I've guessed the process is to select some tunes from the list by checking the boxes next to the name, then add to the print list, then print, but I get nothing apart from "ABCNavigator 2 © 2005" at the bottom of the page

Any suggestions?

1) When I first open a file I get 3 windows: a list of tunes, a panel showing the ABC text, and a panel showing notation. So far so good, but I can't edit the text window. If I go ABC Tune/Edit from the main menu, the text panel enlarges and I can now edit text, but all the menu options are now disabled (apart from "Help", which doesn't) and the menu icons don't work. In fact nothing seems to work except I can edit the text and play back the tune. So my question is, having created/edited the ABC text, how can I save it and get back to showing all three windows again?

Once you are in the Edit window and have finished your edit click on the OK or Cancel in the top right of the edit box.

2) Printing. I've guessed the process is to select some tunes from the list by checking the boxes next to the name, then add to the print list, then print, but I get nothing apart from "ABCNavigator 2 © 2005" at the bottom of the page

To print I find it easiest to right click on the tune names in the list window and select "add to print list", then slect the Print List tab at the bottom left of the screen and you should see the tune you have just added, click on the print preview button above the print list (paper with magnifying glass) and the tune will appear in the print window where you can fiddle with the look and feel.

I am in my spare time generating a help doc for ABC Nav but am short on spare time at the moment.

Thanks Lester. The "OK" buttons should have been fairly obvious - I'm not usually quite so thick with these things.

I hadn't spotted the print tabs, and having to force the print preview isn't immediately obvious, but that's now working.

Good luck with the help file, hope you find the time to finish it. It seems to be an excellent programme let down slightly by lack of documentation. But its free so I shouldn't grumble.