Individually defined notes

When I did a general concertina workshop I mention this subject to an English style concertina player and I was told to stick with the Anglo ,but as I am a glutton for punishment I will discuss this subject here.

When playing the Anglo it is fairly easy to define each individual note and unless you are playing across the rows, or using the accidentals the slurring of one note into the next rarely happens unless you mean to do it. Once however you do start playing across the rows or using the accidentals note slurring becomes part of your playing. When playing the English, or Duet note slurring becomes common practice.

I hate the sound of a piano accordion for that very reason and the old fashioned pub singing sliding from one word to the next. I know that separating one note from the next on an English and Duet is difficult, but I considered it worth mentioning to practice as for Country Dance and Morris music it improves the attack of the music to the dance.

I am interested to hear your comments on this subject and my hat is in the ring ready to be shot at.

Al

Hi Alan, 

it is very easy to play individual, separated notes on the English, most English system players do this most of the time, indeed many are scared to play any form of chordal music until they are quite advanced in their progress. The anglo has it's reversal pumping action as almost a given so the individuality of each note is emphasised.  The English System has keys grouped in 3rds & 5ths, so to slide up and down arpeggios is easy, and traditional church can lend it's self to this sort of move. When you play proper 'Concertina Band' music  the emphasis is often on defaulting to a semi staccato or staccato playing style. Don't forget English System players can reverse bellows for emphasis purposes. We might consider this part of bellows control.

• Like 1

There is an  interesting fact, historically speaking, maybe slightly relating to slide from note to note; in orchestral recordings of very  early 20th century, one can hear string players often slide from note to note, quite frequently.. a habit later on which gradually became less used. 

I find sometimes bellows can be used on my Anglo concertina, to  create more clearly defined single notes, or slur slide between too, with just a little care in technique.

Better move your hat out of the way, Alan.

I play duet, also piano accordian, and I have no trouble keeping my notes separate.  I don't slur from one to the next unless I want to.  I used to play accordian for morris, and sounded just as 'dancey' as any melodeon or anglo (and rather more interesting harmonically, but that's another issue).

• Like 1

Ha Ha Maccannic I will leave it where it is, a few holes might give it some character.  

How I saw it was that if someone was playing a jig and all the notes were joined up then I politely tell the player that it was worth while practicing a different approach, the playing was fine, but I thought it could add another dimension if it was broken up in some way. This was based on the fact that it was creeping into my own playing the more I went across rows.

I have heard some wonderful Duet and Piano Accordion playing and as you know exactly what I am talking about then I am certain you would have taken the time to play the music ,which not only is pleasing to you, but also to the dancers.

Al