What To Consider When Ordering A Dipper

I'm seriously considering placing an order for a Dipper or two. I'd like to get a matched Anglo set of a C/G and a miniature. I understand that Colin Dipper prefers to have orders placed with as much information and detail as possible - makes sense. But I don't know what options he offers.

So I'm writing to ask those of you who have placed orders with Dipper for information on what kinds of options he offered at the time of your order. I'd like to have as much information as possible before I contact him, which will be within a month or so if all goes well.

I know I would want wooden-ended instruments (but I don't know what kind of wood), and my current instrument has a seven fold bellows I believe, so I'd probably go with that again. I've got C#/D# in both directions on the right hand, so I'd get that as well. I don't have bellows papers on my current concertina, not sure I would want any on the Dipper, but I don't know if he does them or not.

I'd welcome photos of your Dipper instruments, particularly the ends. And I am also very curious about how much they cost, so if anyone was willing to PM me that information that would be appreciated. It may be that I'll never be able to afford even one Dipper, which would make my situation much simpler in a sad sort of way.

Also, if anyone can put me in touch with someone who owns a Dipper miniature anglo, I'd be very grateful. I know someone posted a movie file of one when I was asking about miniatures, but it wasn't the owner who posted it.

If anyone lives in the London UK area and has a Dipper, may I come take a look at it? I'm afraid I don't have a car so if you live outside of London it will be more difficult for me to get out there, but maybe still possible.

Thanks for the link, I'm checking it out now. Yes, I'm going to talk to Colin directly, but I heard from his son that it's preferable if people already have a fair idea of what they want when they get in touch. So in order to minimize any effort on his part or intrusion onto his time, I'd like to hear about what other people have gotten/ordered in the past.

I think what John Dipper is suggesting to you is not: "What do I want from what the Dippers can provide?", but: "What do you want?". That is, decide what it is that you want and then talk to Colin and Rosalie about how close they can get to your requirement. You will probably find it is very close. In my case I knew I wanted a baritone C/G to be as mellow as possible, and I largely left the rest up to them.

Chris

My advice is to be specific and resolve not to change your mind later. I started with metal ends on my order. Two and a half years after that I finally got to play a Dipper. In addition to being excited that I already had one on order, I wrote Colin to say I found the wood ends sounded great (the two I tried were wood, so I never got to try a metal one) and I wouldn't mind having wood. That was interpreted as a change to my order, and suppose it was. It set me back (I'm told) a year at least, as one started for me was set aside and I went to the next batch. So don't alter items like kind of ends, button placement, etc. if you can help yourself. Colin is excellent at guessing at or working out details you don't think of. He really does know what he is doing.