Convert dots to ABC? PDF to ABC?

I have no idea how PlayScore2 decides to create multiple tracks in the MusicXML, but it does an amazing job on whatever I throw at it and pretty much anything it produces my tool seems to be able consume.

There is a version of PlayScore2 available for Android as well.

I ran the PDF that DaveRo posted through PlayScore 2 and here is the raw MusicXML output, added it as an attachment.

Here's the ABC after import into my tool, just added the title and a Q:90 tag:

https://tinyurl.com/2p4zzrpk

I have another iOS music scanner app called "Music Scanner" that is OK on simple tunes, but can't handle complex scores like this one.

lamb-joseph-ragtime-nightingale_freescores_2.xml

Edited by Michael Eskin

On 11/2/2023 at 6:25 PM, DaveRo said:

1 I took the pdf score of Ragtime Nightingale from here:[and]Michael's web tool imported it all but the playing was faulty which I assume is the MusicXML .

2 I notice that there are 4 voices in the ABC against 5 in the one Michael posted:

Why not just two. Or six?

1 I saved the ABC from Michael's link and it seemed to play OK on my installation of EasyABC(1.3.7.7)? I have a tin ear, though...

It's remarkable (to me!) that scanning and then importing the XML into EasyABC produced such an (largely) excellent result.

2) I was messing around with the ABC code yesterday, and also noticed that thereseemed to be rather a lot ofvoices. Looking at it a little closer, I came to the conclusion that some of those voices are really only adding 'voice overlay' to the two 'main' voices (somewhat counter-intuitively labelled 4 and 5). It should be possible to collapse two voices into one? On that basis, I tried a little re-arrangement/simplification, and came badly unstuck (so badly that I was tempted to rename the tune 'Ragtime Nightmare'!🙂) I will look at it again sometime, but it may be above my ABC pay-grade to be able to simplify that code. I'm sure it can be done though...

Great tune...

Edited by Roger Hare

Playscore2 on iOS generates 5 tracks/voices:

%%score { ( 3 4 5 ) | ( 1 2 ) }

3,4,5 being the treble and 1,2 being the bass (which starts earlier)

3 and 4 come into existence in bar 3 seemingly as a result of the parallel beams. Thereafter upward and downward stems are in separate voices. I haven't checked but I suspect the bass (1 and 2) is similar. So parallel beams double the number of voices on that staff. Maybe upward and downward stems in the same tune/bar do too.

I don't know why it generates voice 5. It appears in bar 5 and only ever generates the note G. But if I look at bar 5 in the original score (the pdf I posted) - which is different to the what appears in the ABC tool - I see an 'overhead' beam attached to a note with a downward stem. That seems to cause it.  Some of these Gs have both up and down stems in the ABC tool, but not in the original score; I suspect that's caused by voice 5.

My Music Scanner on Android also generated more voices, but differently:

%%score { 1 | ( 2 3 4 ) }

V1 being treble this time.

It played fine in Music Scanner itself - it's just the exported MusicXML which is suspect.

@Roger Hare My latest EasyABC 1.3.8.7-mod on Linux is obviously broken*. It won't open the ABC from the ABC tool. Can you import the MusicXML that I posted earlier?

[Edited to add: *Actually I see a message "warning: Possible buffer overflow". It doesn't say what buffer though.]

I wonder if there's any fundamental reason - a limitation of MusicXML - why a scanner couldn't put the whole of the treble or bass staff in one track/voice?

It's worth mentioning that Playscore 2 is much more expensive than my Android Music Scanner. I believe you need a subscription to the 'pro' version to export MusicXML.

Edited by DaveRo

Yes, the "Pro" level of PlayScore2, which is required for MusicXML export is I believe a $6.99//month subscription. 

For my needs, well worth it, it does an amazing job on anything I give it.

All of these demos of my tool were created using it:

https://designrr.page/?id=307554&token=1472601518&type=FP&h=9681

Edited by Michael Eskin

19 hours ago, DaveRo said:

My latest EasyABC 1.3.8.7-mod on Linux is obviously broken*. It won't open the ABC from the ABC tool. Can you import the MusicXML that I posted earlier?

[Edited to add: *Actually I see a message "warning: Possible buffer overflow". It doesn't say what buffer though.]

I'm using A Windoze 10 machine...

I'm using 1.3.7.7 for various reasons, but I was unable to load that XML file, even using that slightly out of date version. First time I've tried to import XML Maybe I'm doing something extremely dumb - it wouldn't be the first time...

I've attached a screenshot of the 'error box' I got when I tried it...

screenshot.1.jpg

Edited by Roger Hare

As this thread is about scanning scores into ABC, I'll not address problems with EasyABC.

I put the two MusicXML files - the one I produced with Music Scanner on Android, and the one Michael produced with PlayScore2 on iOS, through Wim Vree's xml2abc.js and displayed the score using abc2svg.js, all using his web tool: https://wim.vree.org/js/xml2abc-js.html (These are the same javascript modules used in Michael's web tool.)

Here are the first few bars of the original pdf from free-scores.com

ragtime_nightingale_freescores_pdf.png.7b80394af35e6fa77aeef3278f4e9eb9.png

Then PlayScore2 on Michael's iOS device

ragtime-nightingale_freescores_ios_playscore2_xml2abc.js_abc2svg.js.png.2163cc4be54b4462abce93723ee9e51e.png

Those parallel beams in bar 3 is what seems to cause the treble to divide into two voices, 3 and 4. And that tricky bar 5 causes the additional voice 5.

Finally Sheet Music Scanner on my Android

ragtime-nightingale_freescores_android_scanner_xml2abc.js_abc2svg.js.png.87f5b7a1b8394607825cf4c812d07717.png

The Android scanner goes wrong very early. Curiously, however, It generates the entire treble with one voice including, in bar 5, parallel beams - although the lower one should be in bar 3!

I attach the two ABC files.

ragtime-nightingale_freescores_ios_playscore2_xml2abc.js.abc ragtime-nightingale_freescores_android_scanner_xml2abc.js.abc

Edited by DaveRo