Folk Radio

Guest Drystone

Thanks for that link Pete, I've just had a thoroughly enjoyable hour listening to the latest show and will be working my way through the old shows now.

Good stuff! Would never have found that one without you.

Cheers.

Great show, and the presenter a Peter Bellamy fan too....even if he did beat me on that eBay auction :(

Still, I have the 3 CD compilation on its way! :) :P :lol:

...and will be working my way through the old shows now.

How do you do that??? I tried for several hours on the site last night and could only get to hear the current show. What am I missing? (apart from a computer brain!)

Malcolm

Glad you have found the site and enjoyed the music. It's nice to be able to share something like this - marvellous tool the internet!

Unfortunately only the last show is archived i.e. until the next one is broadcast. Perhaps we should send them a message about that.

I do have the others shows saved on my hard-disk and could email them to you but they are about 17Megabytes in size so are a bit on the large side particularly if you are on something like a 56K modem.

Guest Drystone

Malcolm - sorry about that! I posted before actually trying to listen to the old programmes - when I did, found what you found. If it's any consolation, I sat here feeling embarassed.

Pete - thanks for the information. I've emailed the radio show asking if they're likely to put old shows on the web.

Apologies again, Malcolm, for wasting your time.

Malcolm - sorry about that!    I posted before actually trying to listen to the old programmes - when I did, found what you found.    If it's any consolation, I sat here feeling embarassed.

Apologies again, Malcolm, for wasting your time.

No need to apologise. It was too late to play concertina at that time of night anyway!

And I followed a few links from the site that led to some other interesting places, which in turn led to me downloading a recorder which can handle ogg vorbis format; something that had previously stumped me. So a good learning experience resulted.

Regards,

Malcolm

I do have the others shows saved on my hard-disk and could email them to you but they are about 17Megabytes in size so are a bit on the large side particularly if you are on something like a 56K modem.

Pete, whilst I would very much like to hear some of the previous shows, I wouldn't want to put you to any trouble.

I am however on a no limit ADSL 512K service, and if you were really insistant on emailing me any 17Mb attachments, well, it would be churlish of me to decline, wouldn't it.... :rolleyes:

Allowing for any limitations of your own email service and whatever time constraints you have, I leave it to your discretion.

Thanks for the offer

Malcolm

mclapp@bigpond.net.au

I am however on a no limit ADSL 512K service, and if you were really insistant on emailing me any 17Mb attachments, well, it would be churlish of me to decline, wouldn't it.... :rolleyes: 

Allowing for any limitations of your own email service and whatever time constraints you have, I leave it to your discretion.

I would suggest that a more efficient method might be to post the files on a web page, from which they could be downloaded. My personal experience is that direct downloads run many times as fast as downloading the same files attached to emails.

I would suggest that a more efficient method might be to post the files on a web page, from which they could be downloaded. My personal experience is that direct downloads run many times as fast as downloading the same files attached to emails.

I agree with your comments Jim and had considered putting them on a web site. However I am very conciuous of the fact that although I downloaded them legitimately for my own enjoyment, they are still the property of the radio station and putting them up on another site would feel a bit like I was taking them over, i.e. sort of stealing them if you know what I mean.

I'm the presenter (and producer, record buyer and everything else) for this show. Thanks very much for all the positive comments which make putting this together worthwhile - it's easy to feel like I'm on my own sometimes, so any words of encouragement, comments, requests, criticisms or other input are very much appreciated. And thankyou Pete for posting the details here. If anyone has anything they want plugging, feel free to drop me an email.

I've dropped an email to the station manager re the archiving situation. I believe all the shows are kept on the webserver, but not linked to. I've had a dig around but have unable to find any public location where they may be hidden. I will keep the group informed if anything shows up.

Incidentally, I recently (within the last few months) took up the Anglo-concertina - and have finally found something I can get a tune out of - so I'll be hanging around!

Regards

Christian

--

Make it Folky!

The Traditional Music of Great Britain & Ireland

Fortnightly Sundays,

http://www.209radio.co.uk

makeitfolky@209radio.co.uk

I'm the presenter (and producer, record buyer and everything else) for this show.  Thanks very much for all the positive comments which make putting this together worthwhile - it's easy to feel like I'm on my own sometimes, so any words of encouragement, comments, requests, criticisms or other input are very much appreciated.  And thankyou Pete for posting the details here.  If anyone has anything they want plugging, feel free to drop me an email.

I've dropped an email to the station manager re the archiving situation.  I believe all the shows are kept on the webserver, but not linked to.  I've had a dig around but have unable to find any public location where they may be hidden.  I will keep the group informed if anything shows up.

Incidentally, I recently (within the last few months) took up the Anglo-concertina - and have finally found something I can get a tune out of - so I'll be hanging around!

Regards

Christian

--

Make it Folky!

Fortnightly Sundays,

Well, welcome aboard, from another (presently on retirement) radio producer. I did a folk show in the American midlands for 9 years, including the only show I'm aware of that commemorated the bicentennial of Charles Wheatstone's birth that very week (on American radio, at least). Hope to get back to it one of these days. Meanwhile, C.net keeps me out of trouble! Will have to check out your show!

Ken (assistant bottle washer)

Hi To all,

A special thanks to Christian for a great show.

I for one, will certainly be tuning in regularly.

Just a quick note about another programme well deserving of a mention.

Resonance FM radio from London.

http://www.resonancefm.com/audio.htm

This is available only as a live stream (up to 128k mp3).

Every Thursday at 2 pm (British Summer Time) they have a 'Traditional Music Hour' hosted by no less a man than Reg Hall.

Reg has been both a prolific field collector and a superb musician for many many years and a large proportion of the material on this programme is from private recordings never before issued on record or Cd.

This week the theme was traditional musicians from Clare and included many such live recordings of superb old time musicians.

Well worth a listen but unfortunately time constrained to the 'slot' by the 'live stream'.

(I note from the listings that, this week at least, the programme is to be repeated on Fri Morning at 7 am.... don't know if this is a regular thing though)

Regards

Dave

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all those who enquired about my show's whereabouts over the last month. Due to a holiday coinciding with a sudden ban on pre-records, it didn't happen. Then the fortnightly show was pushed back a week to accomodate a local station using the equipment. Anyway, all back on tomorrow (Sunday 5th) at 3pm, and will appear in the archive from - probably - Monday morning.

Regards

Christian

Make it Folky!

Fortnightly Sundays,

Guest Drystone

Just to let anybody who's interested that the archive of last Sunday's Make it Folky is now up and running. Very good it is too.