Advice please

7 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

The use of the word 'produce' is interesting.

I suspect that both the Concertina Connection and McNeela buy stock Chinese concertinas and then re-work them to make them usable.  If you look in Alibaba.com you will find concertinas (for bulk purchase) that look very much like either the Rochelle or the Wren 2.

The question then becomes, what do these western suppliers do (or commission to be done for them in China) to upgrade these boxes? 

I know that the Concertina Connection replaces the Stagi-like actions with a riveted action.  I don't know what McNeela does, I would be very interested in seeing some interior shots.

No. I don't know about McNeela, but the Rochelle is designed and developed by Wim Wakker of CC, to be produced in China.

I do not want to get into an argument about semantics so this is just an explanation as to why I found the word 'produce' interesting.  Nor am I saying that I have an opinion on the quality of McNeela concertinas.

It seemed to me that McNeela chose the word 'produce' instead of 'make' or 'manufacture' because its meaning is ambiguous. 

For example, does a Music Producer make music himself or does he re-cast the work of other musicians to make the final product?  And what of Film Producers who are largely the money men behind a movie - see the movie actually called 'The Producers' which explains their role in hilarious detail.

If McNeela actually made the concertinas themselves then I would have thought that they would have said so explicitly. 

But that is just me. 

1 hour ago, Don Taylor said:

I do not want to get into an argument about semantics so this is just an explanation as to why I found the word 'produce' interesting.  Nor am I saying that I have an opinion on the quality of McNeela concertinas.

It seemed to me that McNeela chose the word 'produce' instead of 'make' or 'manufacture' because its meaning is ambiguous. 

For example, does a Music Producer make music himself or does he re-cast the work of other musicians to make the final product?  And what of Film Producers who are largely the money men behind a movie - see the movie actually called 'The Producers' which explains their role in hilarious detail.

If McNeela actually made the concertinas themselves then I would have thought that they would have said so explicitly. 

But that is just me. 

Exactly my thoughts as well!

12 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

The use of the word 'produce' is interesting.

I suspect that both the Concertina Connection and McNeela buy stock Chinese concertinas and then re-work them to make them usable.  If you look in Alibaba.com you will find concertinas (for bulk purchase) that look very much like either the Rochelle or the Wren 2.

The question then becomes, what do these western suppliers do (or commission to be done for them in China) to upgrade these boxes? 

I know that the Concertina Connection replaces the Stagi-like actions with a riveted action.  I don't know what McNeela does, I would be very interested in seeing some interior shots.

Good one on the alibaba.com

Good info, thanks.

I am guessing here...

But, If pressed. I suspect that McNeela would say that these are “made in China” and QC, final inspection and “tuning” take place in Ireland”. Which could be anything from boxing them up once they land from bulk to individual boxes and adding in literature to playing them, judging them to be passing and checking tuning.