Is there a stretchable material suitable for Anglo concertina straps?

Hi 

I am investigating methods for getting better control of my miniature concertina which already has leather straps. I am wondering if there is a stretchable material that could be utilized for straps. I need something that has bit of "holding on to" quality (stretchability) to help stabilize the instrument better than the  leather straps.

Does anyone have specific suggestions of materials for this purpose?

Thanks,

RIchard

I'd suggest a short piece of elastic material at one or both ends to preserve the original character rather than an entire strap.

My daughter suggests an elastic para-chord survival bracelet fab.  Any teen can custom make one for you......?

Edited by wunks
more info

Richard,

Why elasticity? Instinctively, I'd expect less control, rather than more, if the straps had "give" in them. In particular, bellows changes from press to draw would be sloppy. The bellows couldn't achieve negative pressure until the straps had stretched to the full.

If you're thinking of stretchable material for a snug fit, remember that the snugness comes from the flexibility of your hand in the firm strap.

Chers,

John

On 5/18/2020 at 6:29 PM, pentaprism said:

Neoprene?

As used by neotechstraps.com.

When my kid played sax he had a neoprene strap.  It was elastic enough to provide some give, but stable enough.  The neoprene part of the strap is often pretty wide to distribute the weight of an instrument, (though I did notice they had a trombone hand strap that might be interesting.)  Alternatively, if you can stitch, an inexpensive computer bag or wine bag might give you material to experiment with.   Though, neoprene does vary in weight and thickness and therefore strength.  

Hi

Why elasticity? Something we all must ask ourselves eventually.

Because of the scale of my miniature Lachenal the straps rest along the back of my hand, more toward the wrist. They tend to slip down towards my fingers and I loose the leverage I need. I have tried some golf product to make the backside of the strap have more traction and stick so it doesn't move while playing. That hasn't been satisfactory. 

I just have a hair-brain notion that a stretchy material might be something to try.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

FYI.... I seemed to have found a material that is working for my purpose. My mini concertina came with straps that are a thicker, stiffer leather which wasn't working well to "grip" the back of my hands. 

I just cut some straps using a much thinner, more flexible leather with the nappy suede on the other side. The key I think is two things:

1. The thinner suede has more surface contact with the skin on the back of my hand.

2. The thin softer suede has a certain stretch to it so that keeps the pressure, holding it to my skin with the help of the suede's nap.

Sorry about such concertina minutia, but I guess we love it.

Richard