H. Crabb and Son Concertina

Justice

Hello all,

I am selling this concertina on behalf of my father who frequented this site and is sadly no longer able to play due to health issues.

This is a 40 button, 6-sided instrument in the CG, it has brass reeds, riveted action and chrome sides and is in excellent condition. The serial no is: 18587.

All of the buttons function as they should. This concertina has a sweet sound great for soft playing but also sounds very powerful when played with some"umph."

I have posted the item up on Ebay although I know Dad preferred to go through C.net to keep costs down for buyers by avoiding Ebay Fees.

I am happy to negotiate within reason and make a donation to the forum if a sale is made outside of Ebay.

Please feel free to send me an email with any questions. I am happy to send a sound clip of the instrument upon request.

Kind Regards,

Justice Otto

justiceotto6@gmail.com

Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/H-CRABB-AND-SON-CONCERTINA/133250485576?hash=item1f06590d48:g:GO0AAOSwKWhd2shY

Edited by Justice
Bad link

Hi there, Notemaker. 

That's strange. I just logged off of my account and tried viewing it and was able to bid, buy it now, or view pictures etc...

Were you not able to see pictures or were you trying to perform another action? 

23 minutes ago, Justice said:

Notemaker, try this link. Perhaps that will work for you:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/H-CRABB-AND-SON-CONCERTINA/133250485576?hash=item1f06590d48:g:GO0AAOSwKWhd2shY

Well I can SEE the page very well, just that if I then try to bid / save -  the next  page is dead! I cannot do anything on it. As well if I login to the regular US Ebay and then reload your page I still cannot do anything on it. IOW I could not bid if I wanted to. You should contact Ebay support and report the bug. Thank You.

Edited by Notemaker
Error

8 minutes ago, Notemaker said:

Well I can SEE the page very well, just that if I then try to bid / save -  the next  page is dead! I cannot do anything on it. As well if I login to the regular US Ebay and then reload your page I still cannot do anything on it. IOW I could not bid if I wanted to. You should contact Ebay support and report the bug. Thank You.

Hi notemaker, I will try giving them a call in the AM.

Until then if you have any questions feel free to email me at:

justiceotto6@gmail.com

In the description of the concertina, you mention that it has brass reeds. This terminology normally means that the reed tongues (the bit that vibrates) are made of brass. Brass reeds are most often found in older (e.g. pre-1910) English-system concertinas.

I suspect that this anglo-system concertina will have steel reeds in brass frames. Please could you clarify?

Edited by Steve_freereeder

A few years ago I had the great pleasure in meeting Justice's father and seeing his collection of concertinas.  All of them were in immaculate condition and if Justice has a concertina for sale that suits your needs then I would not hesitate in recommending that you buy it.  

I do not play Anglo but if I did then I would be checking my bank account right now.

• Thanks 1

Justice,

Sorry to hear about your dad. Please give him my best. I bought more than just a few concertinas from him over the years. 

Reeds on this instrument are steel in brass shoes. I don’t know if Geoff is responding on this forum theses days, but two years ago he and I were corresponding about these instruments as an offshoot of a conversation about the budget models that were made previous to this model, of which I own a 20 button version, and of which was targeted for the South African market... which is where Justice’s father Ben sourced most in the concertinas that he sold over the years. 

This should be a very decent instrument. I hope that this was helpful to all involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 12:43 AM, Notemaker said:

On 11/24/2019 at 10:04 PM, Justice said:

I have posted the item up on Ebay although I know Dad preferred to go through C.net to keep costs down for buyers by avoiding Ebay Fees.

I am happy to negotiate within reason and make a donation to the forum if a sale is made outside of Ebay.

So if you're interested in buying this instrument, why not forget eBay and negotiate with Justice via PM here?  Better all round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your comments. 

Firstly, thank you for pointing out that i stated "brass reeds" in the ebay ad. I have since corrected that.

Also, I'd just like go thank everyone for their well-wishes and prayers. Dad is a simple man: a very black and white approach to life. He always believed in dealing with people with kindness and integrity. He introduced us to South African and Irish folk music where he shared his love for concertinas with us. 

He has several concertinas in his collection and aside from one or two that had great sentimental value to dad, I will be listing them for sale in the coming months. Dad had an eye for the details with his concertina and if any of his concertinas had the smallest blemish, he would have it fixed immediately (for far more than was worth doing).

Thank you all for being amongst the acquaintences and friends that he truly cherished knowing.

Justice Otto

17 hours ago, JimLucas said:

So if you're interested in buying this instrument, why not forget eBay and negotiate with Justice via PM here?  Better all round.

Err not why I reported the problem. AFAIK The poster is newly selling on Ebay, and should be aware of the block upon US bidders to the auction. Just trying to help.