Last of the Tassey Tigers

Hi all,

Well, below are the last of the line, No's 17 and 18. It took me nearly 5 years and 10 concertinas to get to the point I am satisfied with the end product, and although I have enough parts for a few more, I'm currently in remission from the madness. Only the last 8 were really satisfying -- but what to do with the first 10?? A few weeks ago my son asked for a violin from Tasmanian woods, so that project should keep me busy for a time, especially if I have to make 11 of them to perfect the art!

These two are 51/2 inch 31 button G/Ds made from German silver end plates, hand made steel reeds in brass shoes, dovetailed, (unweighted), banksia frames, huon pine reed board and action board, ultem buttons, 1.3 kilos (without German Silver ends they are 1.1 kg)

Thank you to everyone who has helped, encouraged and posted comments along the way. A special "Thank You" to Dana, Wolf and Chris Ghent, it is a shame I met Chris only after I'd made the first 4 -- a lot of time would have been saved if we had met earlier.  Below is a sound file, on Sound Cloud, but as I am not a concertina player it is only to give an idea of the tone and response.

Now off to make the jigs for the violin .... .

David

David

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg

Edited by David Hornett
Typo
  • Like 2

My heartfelt congratulations to what you have finally achieved, David! I love to watch where enthusiasm, craftsmanship and imagination is leading to, the evolution of an initial idea, and when I always admired your artwork, the soundfile is giving excellent proof of the musical abilities of these instruments. It‘s a big and sweet sound, just as it‘s supposed to be...

Having become an Anglo player myself recently, I‘d love to give one of the instruments a try would it not be so very unlikely to meet. I‘m sure your fiddle project will lead you to new discoveries and achievements and wish you all the best on the way, with possibly earlier content!

Thanks a lot for mentioning my interest in your work over the years; you‘re very welcome, and learning that communicating about music, instruments and all has been well-recieved and meaningful at this really means a lot to me.

All the best - ?