How do I identify an " inimatable "Lachenal 48,

Thanks for the welcome.Are you an ex pat, Baltic coast, where,s that? I will get pics of my new instrument very soon as it,s in the post at the moment. Just got it off Ebay for what I hope was a bargin price, If it,s an "inimatable", that is. I hope it,s playable as my regular is away getting a service etc. so I,m concertinaless, and missing it badly. 

Two ways of identifying a Lachenal is the "Free reed" sign stamped on the wooden hand rest ,or the construction of the arm pivot point .If it is riveted it is not a Lachenal if it goes into a slot (similar to a staple it is a Lachenal.

Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Day said:

Two ways of identifying a Lachenal is the "Free reed" sign stamped on the wooden hand rest...

Oops, Alan.  The "Iniimitable" is a particular model of Lachenal English concertina, so no hand rest.  And I believe welsh boi's question is not whether it's a Lachenal, but whether it's the particular "Iniimitable" model.

P.S. Welcome back.  8^)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimLucas said:

Oops, Alan.  The "Iniimitable" is a particular model of Lachenal English concertina, so no hand rest.  And I believe welsh boi's question is not whether it's a Lachenal, but whether it's the particular "Iniimitable" model.

P.S. Welcome back.  8^)

Oh well Jim you are right as usual. Posting late at night is not a good idea where I am concerned.

I hope all is well.

Al

• Like 1

Hi, The chatty concertinaist found the listing on Ebay, small world. So the pics are there on his link, and the label says, Louis Lachenal, and number 10104. The thing that makes it stand out from the norm is the scrolling on the fretwork.It does have a lovely feel to it, feels like quality.It,s not perfect one of the buttons is a bit dodgy but I can live with that, I,m a beginner but I can tell it,s a good one. Thank you all for your comments.  Now, is it an inimateable ?

Edited by welsh boi

So to bring this to a close, it,s an excelsior , From the serial no: 10104 that makes it a circa 1860 ?  Is there anyone near me who would like to get together for a session ? i ,m just a beginner, I like up beat stuff, Irish,sing along, american folk, sea shanties not into morris dancing.I live near Harwich Essex. thank you one & all.