What Miniature Anglos Are Out There?

Hello from a mostly-lurker...

I'm very interested in the idea of a miniature Anglo, but I'm not really sure what is out there. I've seen Tedrow's pics on his site, and it looks very interesting. I also recall seeing a thread about Tedrow's design musings (with additional pictures), but a search just now didn't turn it up.

So far the only mini anglo I know of is Tedrow's - are there others? Does anyone have one? I can't tell from the available pics what note range they might have, or which button is for bellows air... I'd love to hear from an owner about the pros and cons of such a teeny beast, and a sound clip would be marvelous. I think a mini would be great for travelling when a full size box is just too much - my current concertina in its hard case is quite a load to tote around.

So far the only mini anglo I know of is Tedrow's - are there others?

I suggest you look at this thread for some information on "vintage", mainly pre-Dickinson Wheatstone minis.

I think a mini would be great for travelling when a full size box is just too much...

Be aware that real "miniatures" are missing many of the buttons/notes that you would be used to on a standard concertina, and are not to be confused with smaller-than-usual instruments (usually anglos) that have the full complement of buttons and notes. I believe that both Lachenal and Jeffries (at least) made such smaller anglos (less than 6" / 15 cm in size), and Colin Dipper's "County Clare" model is also in that range.

...my current concertina in its hard case is quite a load to tote around.

Sheesh! ;) I can carry three concertinas and two sets of whistles with less difficulty than the average guitar. With only one concertina, I sometimes have to check to make sure I'm actually carrying it. :D

I'm very interested in the idea of a miniature Anglo, but I'm not really sure what is out there.  I've seen Tedrow's pics on his site, and it looks very interesting.  I also recall seeing a thread about Tedrow's design musings (with additional pictures), but a search just now didn't turn it up.

Tom Lawrence describes the Tedrow mini in detail on his website.

So far the only mini anglo I know of is Tedrow's - are there others?  Does anyone have one?

I don't, but our shop has repaired several of them (and has had them very infrequently for sale). They're definitely out there! Anglos, Englishes and duets.... There are usually a couple that show up at the Northeast Squeeze-In each year. I remember Noel Hill's mini - what a screamer that one was! Brilliant (not to mention Noel's playing of it)!

Last NESI, Will Hickman trotted out his Dipper mini.... Not only did I get some good photos, but a movie of him playing it too. Click here for the movie clip - please beware that it's almost 8MB!

Will-Hickman-mini-Dipper.jpg

Minis are fun, no doubt about it. But (unlike a pocket harmonica, say) they are not really a cheaper more portable alternative if you plan to play a lot. What I mean is that a vintage miniature won't cost you any less than a comparable full-size model. A modern Tedrow costs nearly as much as his full-size box. Even a Stagi mini is several hundred dollars. So, while I enjoy playing them they wouldn't be my choice for a travel/road instrument if I wanted to play a significant fraction of my (admittedly limited) repertoire. I take my Morse if I can or just do without when I travel.

One thing I've noticed about all the minis I've played is their relative difficulty to play. Because of the small bellows capacity, the bellows move in and out very, very quickly. You don't have anything like the feel of a more standard-sized instrument. The phrasing and playing pressure have to be thought out carefully or you will run out of air.

One thing I've noticed about all the minis I've played is their relative difficulty to play. Because of the small bellows capacity, the bellows move in and out very, very quickly. You don't have anything like the feel of a more standard-sized instrument. The phrasing and playing pressure have to be thought out carefully or you will run out of air.

I have never played a Mini, but I have noticed that even relatively small differences in bellows diameters can make a big difference in how the instrument feels. Last night I was at the local session and had a chance to try out a friend's Conner Concertina; that instruments bellows look to be maybe 1/4-1/2 in smaller than the ones on the Marcus I have been playing.. but when I tried it I was suprised at how much faster the bellows moved... It felt like the instrument was leaking (it wasn't.. It just felt like it).

On the flip side though, when I play my accordion with only one reed engaged I can literally play a note for a minute or more if I have to (useful for helping the fiddlers and flute players tune).

--

Bill

In my experience with minis it is both surprising how many tunes can be played with a nine or ten note scale + a few accidentals and discouraging how some tunes are just a note or two out of reach. A miniature will stimulate the

"creative arranger" part of your musical personality.

Where the tune sits on the available notes leads to some interesting keys.

I think the number one problem is literally "coming to grips" with a miniature.

Goran Rahm has done some very good work in this regard. I've found him to be a very helpful resource in "handling" a mini.

Regards,

Greg

Ah, I just found another photo of a mini...

That looks like a Mini-Cooper (white roof & mag. wheels), I bet it's got a fast action ! ;)

Wonderful! :)

It appears to be English, but... how many buttons? :unsure:

Probably hasn't got any buttons Jim, just old-fashioned flip switches on the keyboard, sorry dashboard. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments, all, and especially thanks for the video, pics, links etc. Richard, is that mini Dipper an Anglo or an English? I'd love to have one of those, it looks much nicer than the Stagi 18 button I saw in a shop recently. Unfortuantely that Stagi is the only mini I've seen first hand.

I do realise that a mini isn't the best choice for versatility and ease of playing, but if I wanted something effortless to play, I wouldn't have chosen concertina in the first place. :D I think that the novelty of something small, the portability if all I want is something to noodle on while caming or traveling light, and the light weight while playing would offset the negatives. Besides, if I never try one, I'll never know.

From the sounds of things, I can't afford an Anglo at the moment, but English ones seem to be slightly more affordable - perhaps? What would I expect to pay for a non-stagi miniature? I've heard rumours of a wheatstone mini for sale in my area, but I'm not sure how much it'd be worth. I think they said it's from the 1960's.

... English ones seem to be slightly more affordable - perhaps?  What would I expect to pay for a non-stagi miniature?  I've heard rumours of a wheatstone mini for sale in my area, but I'm not sure how much it'd be worth.  I think they said it's from the 1960's.

Well an English-system one from 1963 just sold for GB£853.00 ($1,640.06) on eBay, but Anglo miniatures are much, much rarer in my experience ...

Hi :)

I's seriously considering buying a Tedrow mini, but was wondering how difficult it will be to adjust to "G/D" as I'm used to C/G on my full size Norman.

Any hints/feedback muchly appreciated :)

Cheers

Morgana