Shout Out to Greg Jowaisas

McDouglas

After playing English Concertina for about a year I decided I wanted to find a vintage instrument, that next level up from the entry level Jackie made by Concertina Connection (actually I've enjoyed playing it very much).  It was on concertina.net that I ran across Greg Jowaisas' name and began corresponding with him.  I live in Dallas, Texas, he lives in Kentucky.  I inquired about what he might have to sell and he sent me a list of instruments (English, Anglo and Duet) with details and prices.  I selected a few instruments in my price range and he subsequently sent me pictures and sound files.  Greg answered all my questions and never gave me the "hard sell."  

Of course, at the end of the day there is no substitute for playing an instrument.  Turns out I had to make a business trip to Louisville in January, so I arranged to stay an extra day and made a side trip to Greg's place to play and (hopefully) purchase a vintage instrument.  Greg was generous with his time and helpful in making a selection that was right for me.  Next to my days in Cambridgeshire last fall thanks to the hospitality of Paul Hardy, I have not had a more enjoyable day playing and learning and discussing concertinas.

If you are in the market for a new instrument - or you need an instrument restored - I recommend Greg Jowaisas whole heartedly!

• Like 2

Greg Jowaisas is one of the most honest, decent, and generous people I have ever met, and he is generous with anything he is able to be generous with, almost to a fault.  He take concertina restoration/repair very seriously, is not afraid to tackle any job,  and is hardworking and meticulous in all he does.  He has repaired over a dozen instruments for me over the last 12 years or so, and sold me at least three, plus a lot of parts!  And besides being a great concertina player(both Anglo and English systems), he is also a great songwriter, banjo, and guitar player!  And, if you wanna talk baseball......you get the picture, he's a great and talented guy, you can't go wrong when dealing with him!

Don Smith

1 hour ago, hielandman said:

Greg Jowaisas is one of the most honest, decent, and generous people I have ever met, and he is generous with anything he is able to be generous with, almost to a fault.  He take concertina restoration/repair very seriously, is not afraid to tackle any job,  and is hardworking and meticulous in all he does.  He has repaired over a dozen instruments for me over the last 12 years or so, and sold me at least three, plus a lot of parts!  And besides being a great concertina player(both Anglo and English systems), he is also a great songwriter, banjo, and guitar player!  And, if you wanna talk baseball......you get the picture, he's a great and talented guy, you can't go wrong when dealing with him!

Don Smith

No doubt Don Smith is throwing his hat into the ring to deliver my eulogy....?☺️  But I'll smell and enjoy the roses while I can!  Just trying to help folks along with their concertina adventures.

I should add that I thoroughly enjoyed spending the afternoon with Doug Haney.   And Don Smith...?  What a guy!  What a character!  I call him "The 20 Button King"  and the amount of his enthusiasm for the concertina and folk music is only rivaled by the size of his big heart.

Squeeze On!!

Greg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Plus One on Greg!  About 9 months ago I bought an old Jones 26 button C/G Anglo from Greg as a travel instrument.  It had new bellows, and pads and some other stuff.  The more I played it the more I became addicted to its tone vs my hybrid.  I sent it back to have him even out the button throw, re-bush the button holes etc.  In addition he fine tuned it and worked on some valves an other minor adjustments. All  for a very reasonable cost.  It arrived here yesterday and after about an hour of playing I am very pleased.  Thanks Greg!

• Like 1

Gosh Greg! How is Suzanne going to deal with your ego now! And the fishing. What with that glowing halo, you will never be able to sneak up on a choice rainbow or brown again. ?

Ross Schlabach

PS: I own several Jowaisas-restored Fine concertinas and I have to second the glowing kudos being bestowed - even if he is supposed to be retired and out fly fishing!!