Wheatstone

I have heard reference to a 'Golden Period' of Wheatstones, from what I can make out this referrers to those produced before serial number 32000.    What changed to make those produced after 32000 less desirable?   Is there really a difference or is it hype?

Here is a link to one of the prior threads.

My Wheatstone ECs have a 28ish and a 30ish serial number, both post WW I and both excellent, and I chose the 30... TT over a „top period“ 31... specimen simply because I preferred the sound (the fretwork being more open than on the later one may contribute).

Besides, my Crabb Crane apparently has Wheatstone reeds as acquired in 1934 by the then-owner (clearly beyond that „golden era“), and they seem to be excellent...

To sum it up: the production may in general have reached a peak at a certain time, but each intrument is different, as is personal taste - so you would have to inquire facing an offer anyway...

Best wishes - ?

In regard to Anglos they started to use cheaper production techniques, things like non-riveted action, plywood parts, and aluminium reed frames plus the reeds were not always made as well. These were logical ways to stay in business. So it is not hype, but nor can you say everything after a certain date is bad.

6 hours ago, Chris Ghent said:

In regard to Anglos they started to use cheaper production techniques, things like non-riveted action, plywood parts, and aluminium reed frames plus the reeds were not always made as well. These were logical ways to stay in business.

but this happened at some later point, not as early as 1929 (32...) AFAIK (albeit I haven’t investigated the Anglo production admittedly), accross-the-board - however it may have started earlier of course...

best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
expanded

12 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Here is a link to one of the prior threads.

My Wheatstone ECs have a 28ish and a 30ish serial number, both post WW I and both excellent, and I chose the 30... TT over a „top period“ 31... specimen simply because I preferred the sound (the fretwork being more open than on the later one may contribute).

Besides, my Crabb Crane apparently has Wheatstone reeds as acquired in 1934 by the then-owner (clearly beyond that „golden era“), and they seem to be excellent...

To sum it up: the production may in general have reached a peak at a certain time, but each intrument is different, as is personal taste - so you would have to inquire facing an offer anyway...

Best wishes - ?

Thanks for the 'link' and your comments Wolf.

9 hours ago, Chris Ghent said:

In regard to Anglos they started to use cheaper production techniques, things like non-riveted action, plywood parts, and aluminium reed frames plus the reeds were not always made as well. These were logical ways to stay in business. So it is not hype, but nor can you say everything after a certain date is bad.

Thanks Chris.

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2018 at 9:53 PM, Rich C R said:

I have heard reference to a 'Golden Period' of Wheatstones, from what I can make out this referrers to those produced before serial number 32000.    What changed to make those produced after 32000 less desirable?   Is there really a difference or is it hype?

But there was also a start to what has sometimes been referred to as the 'Golden Period' - when Wheatstone production went from riveted to screwed reed plates, and the range of types was expanded. This was around 1900, and we can't be more accurate as the ledgers for ~1890 to ~1910 are missing. We usually attribute the changes to the influence of Edward Chidley's sons (Edward and Percy) on the business, and they were progressive changes rather than a step change. Edward Senior died in 1899,  and the company moved to West Street, Charing Cross in 1905.