Needed: 10mm diameter caps for concertina buttons

Howdy all, I've purchased an old concertina for my son to learn on, and it's missing three caps for the buttons. Consulted a concertina person and he suggested I post here. They are 10mm diameter, and I'm hoping someone has some scrap caps they could sell me. If not, any suggestions on how to make these playable would be great. Thanks very much! info@bookthewriter.com

IMG_2896.jpeg

IMG_2897.jpeg

You can buy 10mm acetal (Delrin) round bar in small quantities off eBay.

Edit:. Better ignore this, as many folks have pointed out that you cannot glue Delrin.

Edited by Don Taylor

I am not aware of anyone making or selling these caps, I would suggest you make some wooden bits just to get you going. Delrin/ Nylon I don't think will glue very well. 

1 hour ago, d.elliott said:

...Delrin/ Nylon I don't think will glue very well. 

I'm curious. What sort of glue might one use for an application such as this?

I noticed from the photographs that Scholer (I think it might be a small D/A Scholer), don't seem to have used much glue for the original construction.

Here are a couple of videos which may be of interest to the OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbPw0yR19zM&list=PL777D961E7BDD0215&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88yCVla_Djg&list=PL777D961E7BDD0215&index=2

Edited by lachenal74693

I had a similar problem so I purchased some screw-in plastic/pearloid buttons to fit the bass end of a Melodeon off Charlie Marshall. I had to slightly/lightly sand the wooden button remaining to taper it to the same diameter as the plastic but they work OK and dont look too bad. I now need to rivet some new reeds into the reed plate to get the thing working. Using an old Harmonica reed set for this one.

best of luck with the restoration. The one I am working on is a project for my Grandson.