I Took The Plunge

otsaku

after some great responses to my post yesterday and a jim's friendly guidance,

I took the plunge and ordered my jackie first edition today. :)

I got a swift response from Karen Wakker that my jackie is shipping tomorrow :D

So now I'm sitting twiddling my thumbs waiting for the new arrival - feels just like waiting for my son to be born...

Thanks to everyone who replied and thanks to concertinaconnection and jimlucas.

On a side note I'd like to plug boorinwood.com they were very helpful while I was humming and harring about which instrument to choose and despite a strange website they are nice people.

Now I know where I'll be buying my fiddle ;)

Enough of this smilieyficationing, I'm off to gnaw at my finger nails til the jackie arrives - I will return when I can't get it to do anything but wheeze.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hope none of the neighbours start complaining

No question, your neighbours will greet the news that you are buying a concertina with cries of joy, and will spend their evenings with their ears pressed to the walls listening to you practise.

That's what usually happens, isn't it? :unsure:

Chrid

...your neighbours will greet the news that you are buying a concertina with cries of joy, and will spend their evenings with their ears pressed to the walls listening to you practise.

That's what usually happens, isn't it?  :unsure:

Dunno about "usually", but I did have a neighbor whose only complaint about my practicing was that she didn't hear me often enough. She's also the one who also said that if I ever got over my love affair with the concertina, she'd really like me to take up the highland pipes. :)

I'll bet they won't complain. Jim and Chris aren't being cheek here. When spring takes hold again I'll move back out to my porch and play. Folks wave as they pass by (not the single fingered Boston Hello). A few have even come up on the porch and introduced themselves.

Two older ladies who live a few house down the lane actually left me some wild flowers and blackberries from their yard this past summer with a very sweet note. Sure made me feel great.

I also enjoy playing outdoors on the terrace in the summer weather. Until a few months ago, when the dreadfully low price of milk put yet another small diary farmer out of business, my nearest neighbours were a herd of Fresians. Now it is a proven fact that cow's produce more milk when they are played music so I claim at least 120 happy neighbours.

A human neighbour a few fields away said to me one year, 'We heard you practising last night'. Practising! Practising!! I was playing my absolute best ever!

Roger

You're all mad dagnammit!

the last place i lived I had a neighbour who played really crappy pop music too loud and too often - I borrowed a set of highland pipes and after a couple of awful renditions of amazing grace he was willing to come to a compromise.

Maybe I should add I stood outside his apartment door at 1 am.

The neighbours here at the new place haven't said anything about my whistle playing but then I've no idea if the volume of the jackie is greater than that of my whistles...

No Alan, they were very sweet and one morning during the Christmas season I found a little care package of cookies for my bulldog on the porch along with an invitation from them to come to a well-known Celtic Christmas concert in our area.

Now the neighbors across the street...another mater. They had been rather inconsiderate one early morning (2a.m.) with some bone crushing rap. :angry: I waited until 10 a.m. and gave them a good hour of non-stop bluegrass banjo! Proud of myself and a bit deaf, I went back inside only to be told by my dear wife that I was "heartless". The neighbors have been quiet ;) .

They say that the best way to shut up noisy neighbours is to start your party when they finish theirs.

Only joking Mark after hearing your playing, I would bring you some wild flowers, some fruit and my concertina and we can get the neighbours over,your little old ladies and have a ball.

Al B)