Dipper/tedrow Pictures

Hello

Hi Bob.Thats a great comparative photo.

Could you describe the Dipper a bit? What model is it? What kind of wood is it? It looks new is that true? How would you describe the tone?

Your concertina looks very nice next to it.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard, I cannot tell you about the Dipper. The image of the pair comes from a friend who is taking a look at my work.

The Tedrow concertina in the photo will probably be the 2005 Tour Concertina.

And yes, Henk, there are some important differences in the two concertinas. I use a traditional Italian reed in this particular instrument, Dipper makes his own reeds. The two are different in timbre.

There is a difference in the price and delivery time as well. The Italian reeds require less time to tune, profile and install.

I think they are comparably attractive and servicable.

Bob

Here are a couple of images for comparison

Looking at differences in price and waiting list, there must be more than just comparing images <_<

Yeah the Dipper uses traditional hand straps and the Tedrow uses a more modern design :).

Obviously the Dipper uses real concertina reeds as opposed to the accordion reeds in the Tedrow. Since no one mass produces concertina reeds, Dipper has to make them himself; this increases the price and probably lowers production. I also reasonably sure that there are fewer modern makers who use traditional reeds in their instruments (Though they seem to be on the upswing) which means supplies are more limited for those people who have to have an absolutely authentic concertina sound; this increases wait times and prices :).

We are in kind of a weird time concertina wise... There are some absolutely excellent accordion reeded concertina reeds that have a lovely (if not quite authentic) tone, excellent response and quiet action. The Quality of Tedrow, Edgley, and Marcus (the ones I have had a chance to try.. but I am sure it is true of the Morses, Herringtons, Guens-Walkers and others) concertinas are fully equal to high end instruments but because they use accordion instead of concertina reeds they are labled as mid range instruments.

--

Bill

Obviously the Dipper uses real concertina reeds as opposed to the accordion reeds in the Tedrow.  Since no one mass produces concertina reeds, Dipper has to make them himself; this increases the price and probably lowers production.

You are so right! I have quoted Colin before on this. He has said on a couple of occasions that more than half the value of a concertina (meaning a traditional English-reeded instrument) is in the reeds. Much of the difference in price is down to this.

To me, the sound of an accordion-reeded concertina is not as much to my taste as the sound of a traditional-reeded concertina. I speak as one who owns and plays regularly both types. Others may disagree - they are welcome to, I'm not setting myself up here as a final arbiter - but to me the authentic sound of a concertina requires traditional reeds. Some accordion-reeded tinas get quite close, but they're not there yet.

To come back to the cost of Dippers. There is more to a Dipper than just the reeds. Many of the "new" boxes are splendid instruments to play, no question, but having played a few Dippers at one time or another, and owning one myself, there is nothing, absolutely nothing better. In every respect they are superior instruments. They are concertinas to aspire to, and nothing wrong in that.

Chris

Chris,

I am just curious, which of the accordion reeded instruments have you tried recently? I have not yet had the pleasure of trying a Dipper and from the way you describe it, for the sake of my bank account, maybe I should make sure I don't :). Also have you had a chance to try some of other current concertina reeded instruments? If it wasn't for the absolutely S#$%@ dollar/euro exchange rate (with no end in sight) I am quite sure that I would have placed a deposit on a Suttner by now.

BTW, I am glad to see you acknowledge that I am right :) If more people did that for more things the world would be a much better place ;).

--

Bill

I am just curious, which of the accordion reeded instruments have you tried recently? .....  Also have you had a chance to try some of other current concertina reeded instruments?

Well, I own a square Herrington and a Morse, both 30 button G/Ds, and I have played other people's Marcus and Norman anglos. As well as the Dipper I used to own a Dickinson/Wheatstone 40 button C/G, which is also a superb instrument. Mark Davis has it now.

I have twiddled around with Suttners and Connors on stands at folk festivals. I can say of the concertinas I have so twiddled that the Connors seemed pretty good, though not quite up to Dickinson and Dipper - his best were the ones with Jeffries reeds. The Suttners seemed very good.

I look forward to trying an Edgeley and a Tedrow sometime (Ican't really afford to pay for shipping the Tedrow box to the UK as part of its round robin trip, and besides, for me to make the most of it it really needs to be a G/D). I have to say they do look very pretty in pictures.

Chris

Edited to add PS: for a photo essay I did on the Dipper some time back (while I still had the Dickinson) click here. Or maybe, for the sake of your wallet, you shouldn't... No, go on, treat yourself.

Edited by Chris Timson