Looking For

lilli

How does a crane duet rate in terms of simplicity of transition from an English Concertina? Brass reeds sound like a very sensible option for something that is likely to be used for accompaniment. Also seems a lot cheaper than an equivalent TT.

How does a crane duet rate in terms of simplicity of transition from an English Concertina? Brass reeds sound like a very sensible option for something that is likely to be used for accompaniment. Also seems a lot cheaper than an equivalent TT.

Since I've never played any Duet concertina I can only point at the "historical" fact of the Crane being somewhat derivated from the English: it was meant to be an English with altered allocation of the notes... (you'll find the triads in the diagonals).

The patent from 1896 is speaking of "Simplifying the Key Arrangement of an English Concertina"...

I guess if I would consider a Duet myself it would very likely be a Crane...

How does a crane duet rate in terms of simplicity of transition from an English Concertina?

Possibly slightly more similar conceptually than Maccann, Hayden, or Jeffries, but 1. not by much, 2. probably not in the long run, and 3. not for everyone.

• The conceptual similarity between the Crane and the English (and not shared by other duets) is that both have all accidentals and only accidentals in the two outer columns of each hand, and both have all naturals and only naturals in the inner columns (2 columns for the English, 3 for the Crane). But that's it. All duets have the complete scale in each of the two hands, while the English splits/alternates scales between the hands.
  • In the long run, the sorts of arrangements you would play on the Crane would be quite different from the English, while there would likely be more similarity between one duet and another.
  • Just as different individuals react differently to the same taste or smell, so may one individual find one or another system easier to adapt to -- or even more "similar" -- than another system, while another individual may find the oppposite. So far there seems to be no way of predicting in advance which will be which.

My own preferred duet for many years has been the Crane, though I'm nowhere near as good on any of them as on the English. But I don't claim that the Crane is the "best" duet for everyone.

lakeman's offered instrument sounds like an excellent choice. The 55-button model gives an excellent range in both hands, a full octave of overlap between the hands, and is fully chromatic throughout. As far as I kinow, Wheatstone never had a "cheap" line of duets, so the brass reeds would have been something special (special order?), not a reduced-quality, cost-saving measure. Frankly, if I had the money, I would be attempting to buy this instrument for myself. :)

Then to answer a question not (yet) asked in this thread, I would say that if you find yourself comfortable with a duet of any sort, then transitioning to another sort -- if you were to decide to do that -- shouldn't be too difficult. Most aspects of technique should be the same, and the main thing to learn would be to get your fingers familiar with the new shapes of scales and chords.

Also seems a lot cheaper than an equivalent TT.

Yes. In general, vintage Crane and Maccann duets tend to be less expensive than comparable Englishes. (Jeffries duets are another story, and there are no "vintage" Haydens.) The old "supply and demand" equation.

Edited to correct gratuitous renumbering of my list by this (expletive!) "editor".

Edited by JimLucas

Since I've never played any Duet concertina I can only point at the "historical" fact of the Crane being somewhat derivated from the English: it was meant to be an English with altered allocation of the notes... (you'll find the triads in the diagonals).

The patent from 1896 is speaking of "Simplifying the Key Arrangement of an English Concertina".

Interesting that Mr. Butterworth claims to have derived his design from that of Wheatstone (The "English" keyboard). I can see how that might have taken place, though I would argue that the differences are significant enough that it's ridiculous to claim either to be a variant of the other, much less a simplification.