Value Of A Crabb Tenor?

Rikki

I may be in line to purchase a Crabb Tenor that was previously sold through Concertina Connection. They still have it on their web site. http://www.concertinaconnection.com/crabb%20tenor.htm .

I've seen a similar one that was previously on ebay starting at £2,000, but closed early; presumably sold elsewhere. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crabb-48-Key-Aeola-TENOR-English-Concertina-Extremely-Rare-Restored-/251708832496?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item3a9b03faf0&nma=true&si=OEl2aLP3eZnS%252BEnrhJOWQglBisI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'm told it's a F Tenor, and that you can play it like a normal treble only just adjust your fingering up one row.

It looks great to me and I believe it may be ideal for normal melodies plus occasional accompaniment. I have little doubt that it is a fine instrument.

The only thing I am unsure of is what would be the market price for such an instrument in recently restored condition?

Edited by Rikki

does this mean you would be selling your TT? If so, do throw me a PM . . . if not, ignore this completely . . . :rolleyes:

tenors generally are easy to sell for a good price because they are rare and sought-after. many people who purchase TTs are doing so as a second-best choice, because there are so few Tenors available. however, despite having read numerous supposed explanations, i still do not understand how an "f-tenor" differs from a "regular" tenor 48, or how that might impact future sale value . . .

Edited by ceemonster

I don't currently own a TT. I was sent one on a trial basis and although it was an excellent box, it just wasn't for me.

I was advised that the only difference with this one is that it is like a treble only it goes down to tenor C instead of G. It therefore only goes up to F instead of the treble's C. This isn't a problem for me as I have never found a need to play those higher notes.

From my readings through this informative site I understand that a true F Tenor also has the B and Bbs reversed thus allowing you to play in F with normal C fingering.

Edited by Rikki

I don't currently own a TT. I was sent one on a trial basis and although it was an excellent box, it just wasn't for me.

I was advised that the only difference with this one is that it is like a treble only it goes down to tenor C instead of G. It therefore only goes up to F instead of the treble's C. This isn't a problem for me as I have never found a need to play those higher notes.

From my readings through this informative site I understand that a true F Tenor also has the B and Bbs reversed thus allowing you to play in F with normal C fingering.

From discussions, I conclude that there may be two different kinds of "F-tenor". The one kind would simply reverse the B and Bb, but that's not a fully transposing "instrument in F". For a fully transposing "F-tenor" instrument each D# would need to be replaced by Db. If not, then any treble arrangement using the Ab button would sound a wrong note when played with the same fingering on the tenor.

To put it another way, only exchanging the B and Bb would give an instrument equivalent to (but a fifth lower than) a treble where each Ab was replaced with an A#. In that case, you'd get some strange "variations" in flat keys playing many arrangements meant for a normal treble.

Dear Rikki, about 6 years concertina-connection had two eight-sided tenors for sale. I bought the second one ( the one below that one on the list ). I think I paid 3.500 €. I would estimate the price of the Crabb today as 3000 - 3500 Pound. The position of the keys with respect to the finger-rest suggests that it was made as a F-tenor! To change it back you would have to exchange all B and Bflat plus tune the Dflat up to Eflat... But it would be a pity as F-tenors are extremely rare ( the salvation army loved them - so do I )!

I have several tenor-treble and tenor Aeolas - and I certainly prefer the tenors!

Thanks Robert. It sounds like it has been priced appropriately, and that there is a market for such an instrument. I could always seek a part exchange with you if I don't get on with it! The seller has indicated that the B flats are on the outer row as per a treble, so it has possibly been changed at some time in its history. The bellows are quite new and the originals were probably not green.

I see that your appears to have been ex Salvation Army.

Cheers.

ah, so you are saying it is "normal" Tenor 48? Absolutely, there is a market. . . you might wish to verify whether the reeds are steel versus brass and if steel, whether the frames are brass versus aluminum, also whether the action is riveted versus hook. But regardless, priced fairly someone will always want a tenor IMHO....

The seller has indicated that the B flats are on the outer row as per a treble, so it has possibly been changed at some time in its history.

Or it really is a "C-tenor" (Wheatstone still used to call those "tenor treble"), not an "F-tenor"? The difference would be the accidental next to the D. If that note is a Db, then the concertina is an "F". If that note is a D#, then the concertina is a "C", i.e., "standard".

Another difference is that the finger rest and thumb strap are positioned slightly lower then the equivalent Wheatstone model, making it slightly more of a stretch to reach the treble notes. This would perhaps support Robert's view that it was originally constructed as an F tenor.

I am the current owner of the Crabb tenor Rikki is referring to. Geoffrey Crabb's first thought was that it was originally built as a treble and later converted to a tenor. that would have made it a unique individual instrument. However, since then an identical instrument has been for sale on ebay (sorry I have not kept details of that one). So it is possible they were built that way from the outset. The serial number of my instrument dates ot to 1935-38. We do not know a more precise date as the records for that period are missing.

Regards,

John