Theme Of The Month, March 2015: Jigs

Jim Besser

Here are two Northumbrian Jigs. Lamb Skinnet & Wood Nunrich Fair.

Lamb Skinnett I learned off Theo Gibb (who is a member here) and Wood Nunrich Fair I found in a book of tunes for Northumbrian Pipes.

Multi tracked with Morse CG Anglo, Tenor ukulele and bass recorder. I used pitch shift in Audacity to lower the bass recorder an octave to give a proper bass sound. I have a contrabass recorder which is an octave below the bass recorder but it's rather large and needs a lot of breath so it's a bit difficult to record with. I decided to pitch shift a standard bass recorder instead.

I must get round to listening to some of the other entries and commenting, now.

I'm getting a 'not found' message. Can you recheck the link?

I've updated the link. It looks like alonetone alter the url for the file if you edit the title.

Hopefully OK now.

Edit to add. Use the link in the original post. The one in the quoted text is still faulty.

Edited by Tootler

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are two Northumbrian Jigs. Lamb Skinnet & Wood Nunrich Fair.

Lamb Skinnett I learned off Theo Gibb (who is a member here) and Wood Nunrich Fair I found in a book of tunes for Northumbrian Pipes.

Multi tracked with Morse CG Anglo, Tenor ukulele and bass recorder. I used pitch shift in Audacity to lower the bass recorder an octave to give a proper bass sound. I have a contrabass recorder which is an octave below the bass recorder but it's rather large and needs a lot of breath so it's a bit difficult to record with. I decided to pitch shift a standard bass recorder instead.

I must get round to listening to some of the other entries and commenting, now.

I'm getting a 'not found' message. Can you recheck the link?

I've updated the link. It looks like alonetone alter the url for the file if you edit the title.

Hopefully OK now.

Edit to add. Use the link in the original post. The one in the quoted text is still faulty.

That worked, thanks. And good job!

I have had a bad virus this month and consequently not kept up to speed with this forum and having now played all the contributions on this thread, well wowee, what an excellent collection of well executed music there is - one of Concertina.nets finest. And welcome to robotmay - good to see another member of the melodeon.net contributing over on this side - and a pretty impressive contribution it is. So a late contribution from me, I had been trying to nail Swaggering Bonny, but still not entirely confident playing it, so elected for 3 self penned - all done in 2 takes during a hurried lunch break earlier today - sorry for speeding up - I put it down to excitement or longing for my peanutbutter sandwich :-). Just one pass through on each tune.

Erik the arm folder - The big announcement (evident as to why it called this on section b I hope) - Spring has Sprung

https://soundcloud.com/dc12/3jigs2

G/D Morse

Gaztelugatxeko Martxa by the great Basque composer Kepa Junkera.

I usually record in just a few takes, but this one took me forever, and I'm still not happy with it. My group The Squeezers has started playing it, and solo, it sounds thin. THink i need a different arrangement, but can't think what that might be.

Warts and all, as they say.

Ooh, I actually know that tune from somewhere but I have no idea where. It sounds good though Jim, and I'm going to add that to my list of things to learn (and to learn to pronounce :huh: )!

Pronouncing it is a lot harder than playing it!

Last day of the month for the tunes ThOTM and the best way I can play it at this time.

I put two records together, first is Paddy in London from The Concertina Diaries ( The Lilting Banshee ) and second Leaping Jack.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/br8mbaxvt9nugq9/Paddy%20in%20London-Leaping%20Jack.mp3?dl=0

What can I do for a better rhythm 1-2-3-4-5-6 ?

Edited by Toffie

Last day of the month for the tunes ThOTM and the best way I can play it at this time.

I put two records together, first is Paddy in London from The Concertina Diaries ( The Lilting Banshee ) and second Leaping Jack.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/br8mbaxvt9nugq9/Paddy%20in%20London-Leaping%20Jack.mp3?dl=0

Sounds pretty good to my ears once again, Elke!

As to the jig rhythm, I'm not that familiar with Irish jigs (and Anglo playing either). You might get some better advice from fellow members here.

However,I really love English jigs (such as "The Fiery Clock Face", our very first TOTM) where I got the good advice to play 1-2-3-4-5-6 (which I tried to apply with my improved second recording back then).

As an English player I can deliberately change the bellows direction, OTHO I'm always short of sufficient air supply, Therefore I have devised to make the change between 5 and 6, in order to emphasise the jig rhythm in the upbeat! You might try this emphasis (in a way suitable for the Anglo) when playing in a more moderate tempo (as opposed to the "Irish Traditional Music" gallopp...).

Best wishes (and feel free to PM or e-mail me) - Wolf

Elke,

there have been some very intriguing and useful contributions here on this forum about the issue of rhythm in irsih music, For example here by Geoff:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11910&page=2&do=findComment&comment=117717

Regards, Ruediger

• 4 months later...