Tunes Of The Month, Dec 2014

Jim Besser

Here's a demo recording (one time through) of my approach, transposed down two semitones (to Sharp's Gmin) in honour of tjhe new low F reeds:

Robinson's Tune.

Still needs a lot of work - will keep you updated with the WIP.

Best wishes - Wolf

A lively version, with interesting and appealing chording in the B part. I don't know why, but Gm always sounds good to me, even though I find it more difficult than most keys on the C/G Anglo.

Edited by Jim Besser

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot for listening and commenting Jim, I really appreciate that.

As to Gmin, it's similar for me, only that I didn't use this key that much until now with the low F missing - I'm very happy to have it now. Hard to believe what difference just two semitones are making..., like magic... :)

In the A-part I found that my arrangment (still in Amin at that point) was just what Sharp had written down, and this more archaic sounding VII chord (hence the need ot the low F here) sounds much sweeter to my ears than a V (7) with the sharpened leading note I just tend to avoid in tunes like this.

I'm glad you're acutally liking the chording (and bass note progression) in the B part! It's such a terrific tune as for me, I love ending with the much simpler C part then...

Lovely still life by the way - I wished it would be winter here (like it already had been in November).

Best wishes - Wolf

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Jim, just out of curiosity, after turning us all on to SoundCloud (I never heard of it until you mentioned it), you seem to have abandoned it in favor of DropBox. Care to comment?

I like Soundcloud, and it's almost perfect for what we do at TOTM.

But I was nearing my usage limit for the free service, and upgrading is sort of expensive. I would have done it - but I also need a cloud based storage system for other purposes, including sharing PDFs of music, playlists, charts and backing up files.

Dropbox lacks the elegant music player that Soundcloud offers, but it can be used for all these other functions, as well, and the cost for virtually unlimited storage is modest. So for me it's strictly an economic decision; instead of subscribing to multiple services for different cloud functions, Dropbox provides everything I need for one modest monthly price.

YouTube is a fine alternative for TOTM participants. But I find that it takes more work to produce a good recording - you have to worry about how it looks, as well as how it sounds - and the audio quality when I record video with my iPhone or iPad isn't as good as when I use my Zoom H2n MP3 recorder and produce audio-only files.

That's my reasoning, but your mileage may vary.

Edited by Jim Besser

Wow; here's a version of Abbott's Bromley (the second tune in the set) by the new and incredible group Leveret, featuring English concertina player Rob Harbron. A whole different take on the tune!

Edited by Jim Besser

It is from this notation that I learned the tune. Except that I've never heard anybody actually play the repeats (AABBCC), and neither do I.

Wow; here's a version of Abbott's Bromley (the second tune in the set) by the new and incredible group Leveret, featuring English concertina player Rob Harbron. A whole different take on the tune!

Wow, that IS different! They take the repeats!

Got a link?

Never mind. Found it.

http://youtu.be/J5zRdqwVZkE

Sorry, I'm getting absent minded in my old age!

Saw Leveret live recently at London's Cecil Sharp House. What a great trio. They performed acoustically, so Rob's concertina got a bit lost alongside Andy Cuttings melodeon. However, I bought the CD, which has said Abbot's Bromley Horn Dance tune on it. What a lovely version of the tune. The rest of the CD, which includes some original compositions, ain't bad either!

Chris

Here is my attempt at Bourree d'Aurore Sand in Dm.

http://youtu.be/CR_NFXNRvcI

Would appreciate comments about tempo - not sure if I am too fast or too slow for a bourree(probably erratic but that is just me:()

Morse G/D Anglo

Impressive! Tempo seems about right. Now work to smooth it out; my impression (not expert opinion) is that bourrees are played pretty smoothly.

Great that you learned it in Dm. But on the G/D Anglo, you have so many more options if you play it in a friendlier key, ie Em. I'm probably just lazy, but my general policy is to play in difficult keys (Dm on the GD, Gm on the CG) only when I have to - ie playing with others who are wedded to those keys.

Try it in Em and see what you think!

The version played in this topic (and everywhere! It is a very popular tune in France) is a bit different of the original version. I met Yvon Guilcher who is Jean-Michel Guilcher’s son (100 years old and still alive!) who is essential in the history of traditional music in France. He collected Aurore Sand who is the granddaughter of Georges Sand, one of the first feminist french woman writer in 19th century. So Aurore Sand sang this melody to Jean-Michel Guilcher. She told him that her nurse sang to her when she was a child. Sometimes people in France believe that the son Yvon Guilcher has composed this tune but he only created a choreography on this melody. We can consider that it is a traditional tune.

You can find below the PDF of the melody as Jean-Michel Guilcher has writed it. No C# on the third bar but C# at the end of the fist phrase which is below compared to the common version in session.

So here is my attempt for this tune. A lot of drones as I often heard this tune played on french bagpipes or hurdy-gurdys...

https://soundcloud.com/thoon-1/aurore-sand

bourrée à aurore sand.pdf

Jim, just out of curiosity, after turning us all on to SoundCloud (I never heard of it until you mentioned it), you seem to have abandoned it in favor of DropBox. Care to comment?

I like Soundcloud, and it's almost perfect for what we do at TOTM.

But I was nearing my usage limit for the free service, and upgrading is sort of expensive. I would have done it - but I also need a cloud based storage system for other purposes, including sharing PDFs of music, playlists, charts and backing up files.

Dropbox lacks the elegant music player that Soundcloud offers, but it can be used for all these other functions, as well, and the cost for virtually unlimited storage is modest. So for me it's strictly an economic decision; instead of subscribing to multiple services for different cloud functions, Dropbox provides everything I need for one modest monthly price.

YouTube is a fine alternative for TOTM participants. But I find that it takes more work to produce a good recording - you have to worry about how it looks, as well as how it sounds - and the audio quality when I record video with my iPhone or iPad isn't as good as when I use my Zoom H2n MP3 recorder and produce audio-only files.

That's my reasoning, but your mileage may vary.

I would add that soundcloud compress the audio file not dropbox...

The version played in this topic (and everywhere! It is a very popular tune in France) is a bit different of the original version. I met Yvon Guilcher who is Jean-Michel Guilcher’s son (100 years old and still alive!) who is essential in the history of traditional music in France. He collected Aurore Sand who is the granddaughter of Georges Sand, one of the first feminist french woman writer in 19th century. So Aurore Sand sang this melody to Jean-Michel Guilcher. She told him that her nurse sang to her when she was a child. Sometimes people in France believe that the son Yvon Guilcher has composed this tune but he only created a choreography on this melody. We can consider that it is a traditional tune.

You can find below the PDF of the melody as Jean-Michel Guilcher has writed it. No C# on the third bar but C# at the end of the fist phrase which is below compared to the common version in session.

So here is my attempt for this tune. A lot of drones as I often heard this tune played on french bagpipes or hurdy-gurdys...

https://soundcloud.com/thoon-1/aurore-sand

Sorry I missed this when you posted. I love the deep, growly sound of this and the drones. Very cool sound. You do what I thought I should do with my version - do lots of variations. You've inspired me - I want to work out a way to play this low on the 30 button Anglo.

Edited by Jim Besser