At Last… My Lachenal Has Arrived!

HansiRowe

"Especially with Woodie Guthrie's guitar label on it: "This machine kills fascists."

Ha ha…yes, I remember that sticker… !

I just noticed Schleswig-Holstein, I went there some years ago when I was invited to give a series of readings from my books, nice place...

Cheers, John

The possible downside of ammo-cans is (at least in the US) they're full-on hermetically sealed. My impression was that with concertinas you want at least come breathability of the case, or is that not so?

John, glad to see you pressing right along. Got any notion what'll be the first tune you aspire to record and share with us? ;)

Edited by MatthewVanitas

"with concertinas you want at least come breathability of the case, or is that not so?"

That's an interesting point Matthew, as a 'Storm' case was suggested earlier and they are definitely airtight, dust and water proof, etc. which is probably fantastic for traveling but I wonder if that's okay for every day storage too? By storage, I mean just keeping one's beloved concertina in, in between plays? It would be interesting to hear what other members have to say about this… I have been thinking about placing a small, instrument humidifier in the case as well, so maybe the case needs some sort of air passing through?

As for me 'pressing' on… I've been trying to concentrate on keeping my hands as relaxed as I can. After one 15 minute session I pulled my left hand out from beneath the strap and my thumb went into a cramp spasm! So, keeping everything as relaxed as possible while practicing has been very important. I've been practicing the C & G scales up and down, going above and below the middle octave, trying to play smoothly and trying to remember the notes. I've also been trying to master the very first sound file that's on etanbenami.com which co-ordinates both hands, and as far as actual playing goes I have been jumping around between a few very simple (almost embarrassing) tunes, like… "Be Gone Dull Care", "Rock-a-bye Baby", etc. using tabs, but also trying to work out from memory some sort of accompaniment to a favourite song of mine… "Tom has gone…" using some chords as well. Needless to say, I am painfully slow but already the concertina is beginning to feel slightly more comfortable and familiar in my hands… I'm not sure yet when I'll be able to actually record something, I think it will be a while yet! :unsure:

Cheers, John

Thanks very much Al… yes, I really like your sound files and hope to, one day, work through them all. At the moment I'm only on No.1, I can play it and even manage to get a little bit of a bounce going sometimes, but I don't want to move on to No.2 until I feel completely comfortable… I'm getting there… slowly!

Yes, I'm trying to run up and down the C & G scales… starting on LH C3 or LH G3 I can run up and back down okay, but going below LH C3 or LH G3 things get a bit muddled… on the C row there's the B below C but then comes two Gs and another C, and on the G row there's the F﹟below G but then comes two Ds and a B… very confusing! I'm not really sure why this is...

Anyway, I'm plodding on and loving it! By the way, I'm originally from Kingston-upon-Thames… small world!

Cheers, John

… and it's becoming even smaller… I also used to fish by the power station! I was always fascinated by those dark, swirling currents outside, with rumours that, if you fell in, you would be sucked down and never seen again… luckily there was a fence there! My father had his boat moored outside the Sea Cadets' building and as a kid I spent a lot of time hanging around by Kingston Bridge, opposite Turk's boat yard, fishing and getting into mischief… I was born in Kingston hospital...

That's interesting that John Rodd used to work there… cheers, John

Hi Graham… yes, the 'Playing the Anglo Concertina in Bush Music Style' website you posted has been mentioned a while back. It's an interesting site and, amongst other things, there are some nice easy tunes "in row" and "across the rows"… plus, of course, some fascinating history about the concertina 'down-under'… all in all, well worth checking out...

Cheers, John

Unbelievable Hans that I went to a meeting tonight,at a place I rarely visit and who should introduce himself to me, but one of the people I visited at Kingston Hospital.

I was fishing about twenty feet from Kinston bridge one night with a parrafin oil lamp next to me and a bat flew between me and the bridge.The shadow of the bat on the wall illuminated by the lamp, was about five feet across,scared the life out of me and I packed up soon after.

Al (in a small World).