Shepherd's Hey On Two Conflicting Jeffries

During a recent visit to Will Quale, we had the opportunity to compare our two similar Jeffries GD anglos. Sadly, despite our best efforts, we somehow never quite managed to get them to work together. This is our sublime version of Shepherd's Hey - definitely not for the faint hearted :)

http://youtu.be/02m7OweWSgM

Adrian

Since I don't believe you to have filed down some reeds of either instrument you've got me really musing about the nature of your "best efforts" Adrian... B)

Best wishes - Wolf

P.S.: At least the final vocal support is in tune... :D

P.P.S.: I must admit the hurt is growing with every repeated listening... :blink:

Edited by blue eyed sailor

During a recent visit to Will Quale, we had the opportunity to compare our two similar Jeffries GD anglos. Sadly, despite our best efforts, we somehow never quite managed to get them to work together. This is our sublime version of Shepherd's Hey - definitely not for the faint hearted :)

http://youtu.be/02m7OweWSgM

Adrian

You guys are having way too much fun.

I once was on a Morris tour with an English group whose two musicians had a little too much beer. When they played Shepherd's Hey, the melodeon was in G, the whistle in D. Made for an interesting performance.

" Our best efforts" mostly concerned not being disturbed by the other! Actually, listening back to it now, I find it actually sounds quite interesting, the way the ear is pulled towards one instrument/tuning, then the other?

Will's concertina is in a-440hz, mine in A-452Hz, a quarter tone sharper. There are some differences in temperament, but it hardly notices in the greater cacophony...

Adrian

Isn't it amazing that some people pay good money to make their accordion or melodeon sound just like this? (No, really: once had a customer bring in a melodeon where the wet tuning was actually a quarter-tone, and they said they liked it a lot and just needed a couple reeds retuned.)

Rest assured that the rest of the playing Adrian and I did was on instruments that were actually in tune: a Morse Ceili and a Morse ESB make for a great duet! (And a Morse Ceili, a Morse ESB, and a good portion of a bottle of Balvenie make for a great trio ^_^ )

Isn't it amazing that some people pay good money to make their accordion or melodeon sound just like this? (No, really: once had a customer bring in a melodeon where the wet tuning was actually a quarter-tone, and they said they liked it a lot and just needed a couple reeds retuned.)

That's not wet, that's mad! :o

We played a gig at a Belgian recorder festival this weekend, and I was reminded of this thead when arriving in the main hall this morning, to be greeted by the sound of 80+ recorder players in orchestral formation!

Adrian

I note a lack of determination to facing the conflict out..., which is why this performance can't quite compete with your effort!