There Is Hope For The Future Part Two

About 6 years ago I started this topic. Well Andy Parr has now graduated from Newcastle with a First. Well done M'Duck. His playing has come on in leaps and bounds . No surprise to me that he got a First. Alistair described him at a local Concert when Andy did support as "Probably the best English Concertina player I have had through my hands in 40 years" Perhaps some techy could do the "Blue Clicky" to his Facebook clips. If you are involved in a Folk Club he is well worth booking and it will help him with the costs of doing his Masters the year after next.

On a lighter note I played him a tune from Hamish Bayne's C D, some time later at a gig he played the same tune that he said he had learnt in Bosnia as a Swedish Hymn Tune. I phoned Hamish to share the story. " Ah" said Hamish "It is Swedish but it was written by Bennie Andersen(I may have the spelling wrong) He wrote Money Money Money" So Andy was playing Abba Oh heck and so was I Perhaps I should wash my Concertina out

Benny Andersson now plays with his orchestra (Orkester) which comprises him on piano accordion, the fiddlers from the Orsa Spelman and a bunch of others. They paly a mixture of traditional and more modern stuff, including tunes written in the traditional Swedish idiom by Benny (and also by Bjorn).

Try looking for "Frykdalsdans Nr 2" on Youtube and that will lead you to a whole host of good sstuff from the BAO!

Meanwhile, I'll try to find Mr Parr's music

Alex West

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Old Nic.

Andy's dad here. Here is a sample of some of Andy Parr's English Concertina playing for his recital on the Newcastle University Degree of Folk and Traditional Music. Hope you like it.......(click on link)

Neil.

Andy has asked me to remove this link so he can do some editing (cutting out all the chat} He will upload when ready.

Neil.

Edited by Andy's Dad

That's the finest example of Irish music played on English concertina I've heard so far. Astounding!

Yes, it's brilliant - and it's well worth watching his arm and bellows movements on the video.