Tune Of The Month For May, 2014: Michael Turner's Waltz

Jim Besser

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only been playing the concertina for 4 months, and my playing is very choppy , sloppy, and erratically timed, but it has been a really good learning experience for me to try the tune of the month and to record it.

Thanks for encouraging beginners to post.

PS.This is my first social media post EVER. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExmPd9lIH60&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

Stagi G/D Anglo 30

Only 4 months? That's really incredible progress! Well done, and welcome to the TOTM.

Here it is on two ECs (me with 'er indoors), based on the arrangement I did for the village band I run. It lacks the bass part so I tried a few chords second time through, with resultant bum note! We do a show about village musicians, finishing with a photo of Michael Turner, the verse from his gravestone and this tune.

https://soundcloud.com/jignatius-aeola/michael-turners

A few standard English session tunes come from him, I believe.

Here it is on two ECs (me with 'er indoors), based on the arrangement I did for the village band I run. It lacks the bass part so I tried a few chords second time through, with resultant bum note! We do a show about village musicians, finishing with a photo of Michael Turner, the verse from his gravestone and this tune.

Nice arrangement even with the bass notes missing... :)

Lewes Favourites I Vol. 5 has a Jig (here's the link to the page as they don't want to have the files posted without consultation).

Best wishes - Wolf

I have only been playing the concertina for 4 months, and my playing is very choppy , sloppy, and erratically timed, but it has been a really good learning experience for me to try the tune of the month and to record it.

Thanks for encouraging beginners to post.

PS.This is my first social media post EVER. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExmPd9lIH60&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

Stagi G/D Anglo 30

BRAVA! That is very nice playing for such a short time on the instrument. You should be proud of yourself, and you should post some more!

Very nice. The light sound with lots of lift is exactly what I hear as I look or play this tune. Yeah a bass part would be nice, but what is there gives enough aural information so we can imagine it.

[[......With freeware "Audacity" you might just record one mono track through your notebook mic....]]]

i am very adept at internet use, research, and navigation, but believe it or not just acquired my first-ever portable, a notebook, three weeks ago. same with cell phone/text, humanity's most loathsome invention of the last hundred years. it's all very annoying, am forced to do it for work. once i get used to it perhaps i can take on sound. i'm not even sure how to figure out whether the portable i bought even has a "mic"....

I've been away from this board for some time and also neglected my concertina for a time but have come back to it.

Here is my shot at Michael Turner's Waltz. It's played melody only on a Morse 30 button C/G Anglo.

I first learnt this tune in a more elaborate version so I have started from the basic Mozart and then added the more elaborated version as a variation going back to the basic tune at the end. I normally play my Anglo melody only but I noticed in the score for the original that the horns were playing what more or less amounts to a drone through much of the piece (G in the 'A' and D then G in the 'B' so I added a DG drone from my shruti box to the basic melody.

https://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff/michael-turners-waltz

Edited by Tootler

Hi Geoff,

since I find the idea of adding a Shruti box interesting and the drone not at all disturbing in your recording, wouldn't you fancy adding single notes or open fifths from your Anglo concertina? What I love about the concertina is the capability (and sounds!) of playing "live", and I can't imagine you playing the Shruti box alongside (unless it's electronic). Of course the result would be more rhythmic then, and it's all a matter of personal taste...

BTW, listened to some more of your stuff and particularly liked the tunes with recorder...

Best wishes / Wolf

I've struggled a little with this one. I really wanted to use the Mozart score and record multiple tracks for the different parts... but I really find it hard playing in time with myself. I was hoping to improve on this recording, but I've more or less run out of May. So:

https://soundcloud.com/7wheels-1/michael-turners-waltz

Hi Robert,

Very nice arrangement and duet playing - would be a real challenge to play it simultaneously.... :)

If this is what you aim at you would have to go for something simpler, but I guess you know that already...

However, nice to hear from you...!

Best wishes / Wolf

Hi Geoff,

since I find the idea of adding a Shruti box interesting and the drone not at all disturbing in your recording, wouldn't you fancy adding single notes or open fifths from your Anglo concertina? What I love about the concertina is the capability (and sounds!) of playing "live", and I can't imagine you playing the Shruti box alongside (unless it's electronic). Of course the result would be more rhythmic then, and it's all a matter of personal taste...

BTW, listened to some more of your stuff and particularly liked the tunes with recorder...

Best wishes / Wolf

Thanks Wolf,

I do the sort of thing you suggest for song accompaniment and I had a bit of a look at doing it with this but it was going to take more time than I really had. Apart from that I wanted to try the drone and I feel it worked. With an anglo, I just could not have provided the continuous drone tone with the need to change bellows direction for the notes of the tune. My shruti box is an acoustic one and has a double bellows arrangement which provides a continuous airflow over the reeds.

I have a multi track recorder so adding extra instruments on a recording is not a problem.

I've struggled a little with this one. I really wanted to use the Mozart score and record multiple tracks for the different parts... but I really find it hard playing in time with myself. I was hoping to improve on this recording, but I've more or less run out of May. So:

https://soundcloud.com/7wheels-1/michael-turners-waltz

I liked this. I liked the way you used arpeggios for the harmony so it kept a nice balance between melody and accompaniment.

If you are going to multi track, to keep everything in time, it's worth learning to play to a metronome and having a metronome "tick" (known as a "click track") playing through headphones while you are recording to keep everything in time.

Once you have a couple of parts recorded, you might be able to dispense with the click track and use the existing parts to keep you in time.