A New Maker? Seven Mount Concertinas

The main difference between accordion reeds and concertina reeds is the slot geometry:

post-448-0-06007200-1393173453_thumb.gif

The slots in accordion reeds are punched out (tool & die), leaving a slot with almost parallel sides.

The concertina reeds are (were?) punched out, and then the slot was 'processed' somehow, leaving an opening with tapering sides.

This allows for higher air escape, letting the reed start with a lower pressure and makes it impossible to have a choking reed - which is possible with accordion reeds (on an accordion-reed instrument, try with a high pull pressure before pressing a low button - chances are that you get a choke = no sound).

Thus the shape (or even material (huuh - sticking my neck out here...)) has no effect. The shape is simply to make the frame fit snuggly into the dovetail slot in the reed pan.

/Henrik

Well Henrik,

I find that Concertina reeds can also be 'choked' in the same way. But what makes the difference in the SOUND between accordion reeds and concertina reeds?

I will start a fresh thread to discuss this because I have a theory. :huh:

Geoff.

Then I've been lucky, I guess ;-). Many of my low notes on my accordion-reeded can - if provoked - choke, haven't done it on my Wheatstone; they bend a bit, but don't choke.

I'll look at the other thread...

- but just add: The differences in the way c-reed and a-reeds are mounted, i.e., "integral" with the reedman plate versus placed on top of the chamber is bound to make a difference. And reed sizes, chamber geometry, etc, etc. A acoustic hornets nest.

Fascinating as well is the difference between a brand new instrument and one which has been played intensively for a number of years (own experience). A bit like wine ;-).

/Henrik

Fascinating as well is the difference between a brand new instrument and one which has been played intensively for a number of years (own experience). A bit like wine ;-).

...save that you will just have to leave the wine alone rather then making intensive use of it for a number of years in order to get the respective results! :ph34r: