Question.. And this may NOT be practical at all.. But what if you used the Bowden cables through out? IF you did that then would  the need of positioning of the reeds in relation to buttons go away?

Could you then, potentially, extend the range way down in the bass as the relative positions are no an issue? And might you also be able to have substantially more notes on either side?

Possibly  a radial pattern where the lowest reeds are along the outer most edge. and possibly add in highest notes where possible and have concentric hexagons/ octagons of reeds? 

13 minutes ago, seanc said:

Question.. And this may NOT be practical at all.. But what if you used the Bowden cables through out? IF you did that then would  the need of positioning of the reeds in relation to buttons go away?

Could you then, potentially, extend the range way down in the bass as the relative positions are no an issue? And might you also be able to have substantially more notes on either side?

Possibly  a radial pattern where the lowest reeds are along the outer most edge. and possibly add in highest notes where possible and have concentric hexagons/ octagons of reeds? 

Bowdens still require levers. Those could indeed be shorter and anywhere on the action board, but are still required. In fact, I was contemplating such solution to add Abs to my box. Bowdens also have to come out somewhere, where there’s no reed in the way. This indeed would be easier with levers that are detached from buttons, so can have posts anywhere. BUT the biggest limitation of bowdens is curvature - too tight and it doesn’t work or require springs set much harder than it is typical for concertinas. So they are only usable for outmost buttons and still require careful positioning of reeds. For the same reason however, they are perfect to add all enharmonic duplicates to a large enough box. I regret not inventing this solution before I designed my fretwork, because I would add all Abs for existing G# and maybe even Dbs, as my handle design makes those reachable.

I’m currently occupied with designing a small, 46-50b, 3D printed box, but after that I’m tempted to make the largest box I can, that is one that has the entire available range of DIX reeds in it, from A1 to g6. With the size required to fit all those layered bass chambers, bowdens for all black keys in both enharmonic equivalents should be possible. 

• Like 1

I wonder if would be possible to do concentric/ stacked reed pans? possibly the lower having a hole in the center to allow for air flow to the top reeds? For the lows this would give more space and consistent distance. . Possibly using the Bowdens. 

It may also have the extra effect of having the top reed pan as a baffle to quiet down the big reeds? 

4 hours ago, seanc said:

I wonder if would be possible to do concentric/ stacked reed pans? possibly the lower having a hole in the center to allow for air flow to the top reeds? For the lows this would give more space and consistent distance. . Possibly using the Bowdens. 

It may also have the extra effect of having the top reed pan as a baffle to quiet down the big reeds? 

I think I don't follow how this would look like and where the Bowdens are in this configuration. Could you provide an illustration of what do you think about exactly? The only interpretation I can come up with requires openwork action board, especially in button area.

• 10 months later...
On 1/7/2024 at 5:31 PM, Łukasz Martynowicz said:

Just for completeness sake, my post from another thread showcasing my antlers design.

Lukasz,

I've just been through your referenced posts, and they are quite inspiring. Well done! 

• Like 1