Seeking Advice About This Concertina...

Troy

As most of you probably know from another thread, I just got burned from a recent purchase. I bought a 56-key Stagi EC and it turned up at my doorsteps with loose buttons, some slow-to-respond reeds and leaky bellows. And it looks like I will have to make the repairs myself (or at least, attempt to make the repairs), seeing that our one and only local accordion technician here has pretty much retired (he is now 80) and is reluctant to take on the job because he has little experience in fixing concertinas.

In the meantime, I had been looking around eBay for a decent vintage concertina that I can still afford with what is left of my budget. And this this one turned up:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48-Key-English-Wheatstones-Concertina-/390529915218?clk_rvr_id=442135584869

However, I am feeling hesitant with my purchases now (given my experience) and I want to be more cautious. So I would like to solicit our more experienced members' comments/opinions about the aforementioned concertina, before I start bidding. Is this ad legit? What do you think is a fair price for this concertina?

From the early date given in the description it is likely to be a brass receded instrument so will have a soft sweet tone. It might have had the reeds replaced with steel (many were) but the seller may not be able to tell.

The repair history looks legit, and Steve Dickinson has a good reputation for repair work. At the current price it looks good value, but for an early instrument with probably brass reeds, I wouldnt want to pay much more, even for a Wheatstone.

If the price of the ebay auction concertina goes too high, the wheatstone Mayfair that's Theo's selling might be worth a look, they make good starter instruments ... the range on the Mayfairs is lower though - much less than the 56 button Stagi.

Chris Algar of Barleycorn concertinas may also have something if you contact him directly. He often has working but cosmetically less than perfect boxes.

Yes the Mayfair is an excellent starter EC, it is missing the top octave compared with a typical treble, but goes down to the same low G. Cheaper that the equivalent stagi, plays better and will hold it's value.

Hi there Troy,

I would expect the price of this instrument to remain constant until about an hour before closing, and then you'll have a bid war that drives the price up to about 890, if not more. Predictable pattern. We had the issue of ebay auctioneering histories before.

particularly in the light that you were disappointed once - I'd second (or third?) the recommendation to check out Chris Algar at Barleycorn. You'll never get a bargain from him (he's been in the business way too long), but you'll never be disappointed either; you'll get exactly what you pay for. Not a bad deal in the fickle world of vintage concertinas. I'm sure that Theo's instruments are good value as well.

As most of you probably know from another thread, I just got burned from a recent purchase. I bought a 56-key Stagi EC and it turned up at my doorsteps with loose buttons, some slow-to-respond reeds and leaky bellows. And it looks like I will have to make the repairs myself (or at least, attempt to make the repairs), seeing that our one and only local accordion technician here has pretty much retired (he is now 80) and is reluctant to take on the job because he has little experience in fixing concertinas.

I think a lot of us are quite used to having to post our instruments away to get them sorted. Have you tried having a chat with one or two of the speciallists who hang around here with a view to posting the one you have away to be fixed? It would be better than having an accordion man do it anyway, we are told and I think we have a couple of canadian repairers regular here. (You can look them up I'm having a crisis of confidence and not going to name names in case I get them wrong!)

you might take a look back at mr. jowaisas' holiday "concertina pyramid" in the Buy&Sell listings in late december. there might be something there that would be just the thing for you. if i recall, there were several ECs in the $600--$1350 range. and you'd be dealing with an honorable person who is by all accounts a highly skilled concertina tech. i've been eyeing the pile myself and dithering over the right thing to do in my own case....

Edited by ceemonster

Troy, maybe I missed your report, but did you contact the seller and, if so, was there any satisfactory outcome?

Hello Mike, I posted an update in the original thread. I did not feel it was a satisfactory outcome, but it was better than nothing given that the vendor is in the US and I am in Canada which makes it difficult to further chase the matter.