First Ever Busking Earnings

Dirge

I have a little 46 key with brass reeds that travels about with me when I'm worried about conditions, and I have a job as a commentator on a tourist ride. It's a 'duck', amphibious and takes to the sea so the brass seems important.

So there I was sitting on a bench amusing myself with the 'box waiting for 'work' to drive up when a young man comes up to me and gives me a dollar. "Oh!" I said, "I wasn't expecting that! Thank you!". "That was bloody brilliant mate!" he said.

I'm not sure I agree with him but it was all very pleasing.

No hat, no open case, no deliberate attempt to raise money of any sort on my part please note.

Perhaps I should try it properly.

Delighted that Dirge received a complement and some money, but given the circumstances, I think he retains his amateur status. If busking were a crime, he would be innocent. He clearly lacked intent (no case on the ground inviting cash). To the degree that his practice or self-enjoyment was overheard, I'd categorize this as an unintended public service. Still, highly praiseworthy.

Mike

P.S. Baltimore used to have tours in these amphibious ducks, I remember a couple of times when Baltimore Folk Music Society outdoor events in Mount Vernon Place, one of center city Baltimore's historic urban parks, were disrupted by these things driving by, with tourists honking away on duck calls. We're sorry to see the company end their Baltimore tours, however.

A dollar a minute sounds good! I got a penny once in Whitby whilst noodling on the jetty in the sun. The guy nearby dressed as a pirate with a dancing doll, foot drum and amp was raking it in. The little Jack Russell with the neckerchief and eyepatch helped relieve the kids of their candyfloss money ! I've noticed in Sheffield's Fargate the showmen do deservedly well, the buskers who just sit and play to themselves get treated like beggars and get ignored. people expect some effort to entertain in these hard times. I think it's not enough to just practice in public