Does anyone recognize this tune?

Susanne

I was practicing and this tune popped up in my head and I started to play it. I have no idea what it is other than that I think it's Irish and I've either played it on the mandolin at a session somewhere or heard it on a CD. Can anyone help me with the title please?

And please beware - I'm a newbie on the concertina.

Unknown tune - Irish? Scottish? Other?

I was practicing and this tune popped up in my head and I started to play it. I have no idea what it is other than that I think it's Irish and I've either played it on the mandolin at a session somewhere or heard it on a CD. Can anyone help me with the title please?

And please beware - I'm a newbie on the concertina.

Unknown tune - Irish? Scottish? Other?

You're playing the Tombigbee Waltz - a great oldtime American tune.

Gary

Oh! I didn't realize but yes, it sounds very old-time actually. And I play and listen to a lot of old-time music, plus a couple at our session in Clonakilty played some old-time too so I may still have heard it there. Thanks!

Except that it's a waltz. Whoever put up the abc notated it in 8th notes (quavers) rather than quarters (crochets). Just a matter of correctly defining the default length (should be "L:1/4" rather than "L:1/8"). Also, I would think the two lead in notes (B and A, as in the first ending) were essential, but omitted here.

Here's how I learned it from Jay Ungar about 25 years ago. Working with the above abc, I made several changes, mostly formatting and rhythmic changes, but I also changed one note (an e to a c in the 3rd measure of the B section). I'm fine with the chords as supplied, and I left them as is, but I'm not sure it's exactly what I'd do.

X:1
T:Tombigbee Waltz
M:3/4
L:1/4
R:waltz
K:G
B/>A/\
|:"G"GBB|d2B/>A/|GBB|d2B|
"D7"B>AA|ABd    |1"C"e2"D7"d|"G"B2B/>A/:|\
               [2"C"ed"D7"F|"G"G2d    ||
|:"G"g2d|g2d|"C"e>dc|"G"d2B/>B/|
"D7"BAA|ABd|1"C"e2"D7"d|"G"B2d:|\