Ufo

I hope that Sidmouth has not been hit by the terrible storms which are sweeping across the country at the moment.The weather forecaster said that if one hits you ,you will know all about it and yesterday it did.I have never seen rain like it.In no time small rivers were flowing all over the place and the sky lit up by lightning.

This follows about two weeks of hot, airless and humid conditions.It prompted my wife to ask me to get the fan out of the loft.This is no ordinary fan,it is an industrial one,where I got it I cannot remember,but it is more suitable for a large warehouse than for household use.It rarely comes out of my loft as it is so awkward to get down and put back up I use excuses not to get it down.It really needs a block and tackle rather than just my lifting it.We were about to eat a salad when I switched it on and it promptly blew all the lettice off the plates and onto the floor.That evening it went into our bedroom and I lay there thinking that it was like trying to get to sleep in a force nine gale.If you see a headline in the paper of a UFO over the Gatwick Airport ,do not be alarmed it will be me still holding on to the bed sheet.

Al

Alan, is that rain the leftovers of the hurricane that brushed by the North Carolina coast a few days ago? It should be about to the UK by now if that's the track it took, but they stopped following it in the news here once it was out to sea.

We've been getting torrential rains here all summer, much more than normal. Often it's the kind of rain where you can't see the car in front of you if you're driving, but usually doesn't last long. There was just one day when it lasted all day, and some places got up to 19 inches of rain, although my area only got about 4. About once a week, though, we see a new report of major flooding somewhere in the area.

What we haven't gotten nearly enough of this summer (for my taste, anyway) is hot weather. I guess all the rain has been keeping it cool.

Steven

We were about to eat a salad when I switched it on and it promptly blew all the lettice off the plates and onto the floor.

:D They do make salad spinners, you know. I finally bought one, recently. (Funny, I use to think some of them looked like UFOs.)

I never thought of trying to use the fan. Hmm!

Anyway...hope your weather has calmed down a bit!

Wish we could get a bit of rain down-under to break the drought!

Alan, can I suggest, for some really interesting sounds, that you stand in front of the fan and play your concertina. Sort of Doepler (sp?) effect, and much cheaper than a Leslie speaker. :o

Beads are optional! :D

Have fun.

Malcolm

It is what we call Fast food over here Wendy,Still hot and airless.

I think Malcolm it would take streaking to new heights!!

Is it a bird?

Is it a plane?

No it`s Alan,He`s switched on the fan again

B) The black eyes are due to lack of sleep.

Alan, can I suggest, for some really interesting sounds, that you stand in front of the fan and play your concertina. Sort of Doepler (sp?) effect, and much cheaper than a Leslie speaker. :o

A few weeks after I got my concertina (yes, Malcolm, the one I bought from you), I was playing and my wife said she thought there was something wrong with it. The sound had an odd buzz to it. I thought maybe there was something loose inside the box until we figured out it was because we had the ceiling fan on in that room! The sound reflecting off the fan blade, then the ceiling, then the next fan blade, etc. gives an odd sort of fast modulation that's a bit disconcerting.

I sure was glad it wasn't a problem with my concertina, though!

:)

Steven