Dapper's Delight - Indoors

Just a little note to say that our recording “Indoors” is now available as a digital download via Amazon, CDbaby and Itunes. The price seems to depend where you live, ($8.99 in the US, £7.49 in the UK, €9.89 in Germany - unfortunately for some reason you can’t do your own bit of globalisation and shop in the cheapest country!) but it is considerably cheaper than the CD, even if you do miss out on the 24-page booklet and artwork.

Adrian

Ah!! The booklet and artwork are worth the extra expense. It really is a nice production overall.

My favorite tracks are Number 11 "all in a garden green" where Susanna appears to have a lot of bird song ideas coming through and number 12 "The true lover's knot untied" so much pathos delicately applied with two voices and two instruments woven together very nicely into a tour de force.

Geoff. :)

Ah!! The booklet and artwork are worth the extra expense. It really is a nice production overall.

My favorite tracks are Number 11 "all in a garden green" where Susanna appears to have a lot of bird song ideas coming through and number 12 "The true lover's knot untied" so much pathos delicately applied with two voices and two instruments woven together very nicely into a tour de force.

Geoff. :)

Adrian tells me that "All in a garden green" is available to view on Youtube if you search "Dapper's Delight" you can see their two videos.... I did... lovely !

• 2 years later...

Adrian, I chose this thread for my feeding back: what a fine parcel of baroque and renaissance tunes, and as said in the booklet: a freer touch on what is called Early Music, tastefully executed by you and Susanna!

All in a Garden Green has been one of my favourite tunes ever since I heard a Viol Consort playing it, and your version reall adds something, as Geoff remarked. Always loved The Fairy Queen as well, and am delighted by your renditions as to that.

There's so much more... After all (and much repeated listening), this CD (which my wife likes too, I'm supposed to add) is a very lucky find as for me!

Best wishes to the two (resp. three) of you - Wolf

• 1 month later...

I just saw the thread elsewhere here on a Dapper's Delight tune on Youtube, but thought I'd resurrect this thread on their CD, Dapper's Delight play Indoors, for my comments.

I had a long drive to make yesterday through the low green hills of central Texas, and brought this CD along...I hadn't yet listened to it. I didn't know from the plastic-wrapped cover what to make of it - recorder and Anglo! - and was really hoping it wasn't yet another dreadful CD of re-enactors playing tunes in costume (go to Colonial WIlliamsburg and you will see what I mean, recorders and all). Nothing against that sort of thing-it can be really nice-but it seems like everytime I get a CD of such music I get a bit disappointed, and thus I tend to stick recordings of people I know, and of people who stick to traditional style playing.

Boy, was I wrong on this one. It is superb! What looked to be a potentially iffy idea, mixing a recorder and its Early Music styling with a Victorian anglo concertina with all that entails, ended up being a stroke of genius. There are so many morris tunes with old roots that delving a little deeper in time fits the Anglo nicely, and Ms. Borsch's recorder playing is so wonderfully virtuosic that the whole thing comes together brilliantly. Adrian Brown's playing naturally echoes John Watcham's (his former mentor), which means that the chords are impecabbly chosen and the tunes flow on legato or bouncy fashion, as fits the needs of the music. Their playing together, with all the give and take in phrasing, is simply gorgeous, and the miles melted away as I listened to this CD during my drive. It is always very nice to find music that stretches the mind, and shows that there are still more avenues to explore for our favorite instrument. If you don't own this CD yet, you might consider getting it.

ps. Also of note is the use of mean-tone temperament in two of Adrian's concertinas....the chords are lovely and peaceful-sounding. Greg Jowaises is tuning one of mine that way this month, and I cannot wait to get my hands on it.