what concertina ?

How fantastic that so many are turning to the Duet as their future instrument.

I have always enjoyed the lovely smooth sound and all round versatility of the instrument.

I eagerly wait for Duet International ,definitely happening, that will showcase many of the Worlds best players. We have the recordings and Graham is making a start early in the New Year to select his choices for this three CD collection.

Anglo and English 3CD collections are already out there. Roots Records- Coventry and Button Box- USA amongst the many sources that they can be obtained from.

Al :)

These collections are a great resource and we should be very gratefull to you Al and Graham for all that work for our benefit. So this is music to our ears... and we await the finnished 'Duet Inernational' with patience.

Happy New Year Al,

Geoff.

PS; and thanks to all the musicians who contributed also.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Thanks Mike and Geoff

Just for those of you who have no idea what we are talking about.These are compilations of players from around the World archives and new recordings.

Anglo International line up (in no particular order)

John Kirkpatrick,Noel Hill,Niall Vallely,Scan Tester,Fred Kilroy,Chris Sherburn,Bertram Levy,Frank Edgley,

Andrew Blakeny-Edwards, Roger Digby,Bob Davenport,Nigel Chippendale,Harry Scurfield,Will Duke,Regardt de Bruin,Tom Lawrence, Roger Edwards and Trio Threlfall,Mary MacNamara,Kate MacNamara,Mandy Murray,John Watcham, Zulu Squashbox,Zak van de Vyver,Felix Castro, Jody Kruskal,Alan Day

English International Line up (In alphabetical order)

Alistair Anderson,Ashton under line concertina Band,Allan Atlas,Damien Barber, Martyn Bradley,Danny Chapman,Tommy Dale,Walter Dale, Juliette Daum,Harry Dunn, Alf Edwards,Jan Elliott,Fayre Four Sisters,Mark Gilston,Sarah Graves,Robert Harbron,Heywood Concertina Band, J.Hume,Graham Jenkins,Tim Jennings,Tom Jukes,Gregory Matusewitch,Henrik Muller, Lea Nicholson,John Nixon,Mark Evans and Obi's Boys,Frank Olloms, Tom Prince,Raphael,Ian Robb,Ernest Rutterford, Pauline de Snoo, Rainer Sussmilch, Simon Thoumire, Dave Townsend, Wim Wakkker, Bernard Wrigley.

Duet Line up to be announced after Graham has made his selection

All three CD Collections available from the artists ,many outlets including Roots Records Coventry and Button Box USA.

I have always enjoyed the lovely smooth sound and all round versatility of the instrument.

I eagerly wait for Duet International ,definitely happening, that will showcase many of the Worlds best players. We have the recordings and Graham is making a start early in the New Year to select his choices for this three CD collection.

Anglo and English 3CD collections are already out there. Roots Records- Coventry and Button Box- USA amongst the many sources that they can be obtained from.

Welcome to the duet club!

I think so, as a duet newbie I am finding it a very interesting instrument, as anglo player I bought some cheap bandoneons because I wanted more buttons and more versatility in chords, keys, etc. and as member of the same family of free reed I thought that perhaps it would be my next step, but when I tried it, the feeling of the instrument was so different! much bigger size, a lot of buttons that many people only knows to play in one direction, etc. etc.

Finally I bought two duets (one 46 wheatstone and now one 56 lachenal) and I find them very portable, very comfortable for an anglo player (the same straps for holding the concertina, the same position of the instrument, etc.), very versatile and a very important question, much more cheaper. Nice quality and nice prices!

I don't know why more people didn't play them!

Alan, we shall wait for Duet International! I have some 78 rpm recordings more of concertina (John Rutterford) if you need it, but I supposse that you have all the recordings for the album.

Regards

Welcome to the duet club!

I think so, as a duet newbie I am finding it a very interesting instrument, as anglo player I bought some cheap bandoneons because I wanted more buttons and more versatility in chords, keys, etc. and as member of the same family of free reed I thought that perhaps it would be my next step, but when I tried it, the feeling of the instrument was so different! much bigger size, a lot of buttons that many people only knows to play in one direction, etc. etc.

Finally I bought two duets (one 46 wheatstone and now one 56 lachenal) and I find them very portable, very comfortable for an anglo player (the same straps for holding the concertina, the same position of the instrument, etc.), very versatile and a very important question, much more cheaper. Nice quality and nice prices!

I don't know why more people didn't play them!

Alan, we shall wait for Duet International! I have some 78 rpm recordings more of concertina (John Rutterford) if you need it, but I suppose that you have all the recordings for the album.

Regards

Hallo Felix, nice to hear from you after such a long time.We have all the recordings for the collection (and more) it includes Ernest Rutterford Do you mean Ernest,if not then John Rutterford would be worth hearing.

Al

Much of what can be done on the Duet is possible on the Anglo and I spend a lot of time experimenting with the accidentals to achieve this sound.Sometimes however the Anglo has a lot going for it and I revert back to the push pull chunky sound that attracted me to it in the first place.The Duet is much better for classical music however and seems to lend itself more to chord accompaniment and that lovely smooth non jerky sound. Again possible on the Anglo but so much more difficult.

The Duet has a great future and it is lovely to hear about so many new players.

Al

Much of what can be done on the Duet is possible on the Anglo and I spend a lot of time experimenting with the accidentals to achieve this sound.Sometimes however the Anglo has a lot going for it and I revert back to the push pull chunky sound that attracted me to it in the first place.The Duet is much better for classical music however and seems to lend itself more to chord accompaniment and that lovely smooth non jerky sound. Again possible on the Anglo but so much more difficult.

Al

Sorry it is Ernest, my memory is very bad, I bought the recording with Sons of the Brave and Viscount Nelson.

Yes, I didn't extend my e-mail, I don't mean of course the I exploted the anglo to its limits, it is very far away, but I decided to try the duet as a 50 button anglo concertina would be very expensive.

In Galicia we have a problem, there isn't a standard pitch for playing at all as in other traditional musics, some people plays in D, others in C, others in Bflat, with the relative keys, as many as the different tunings of the bagpipes, etc. and I wanted to try another system in which it wasn't so difficult to play in all the different keys, and I wanted to try an instrument also mainly for chording.

Félix

I have three different squeezeboxes for playing wiht pipes, Bb/Eb, D/G, and C/F, and some times I feel the urgence of owning another ones as G/C (mainly because is very typical in diatonic accordion continental playing) and even A/D.

And sometimes I would like also a G/D concertina and a a Bb/F too. ;-).

In Galician music there is a very chromatic repertoire (more modern than the elder one) in which the piano accordion found its place and replaced the diatonic accordion. And I thought about trying the duet mainly for very chromatic playing and chords accompanyament.

Al

Sorry it is Ernest, my memory is very bad, I bought the recording with Sons of the Brave and Viscount Nelson.

Yes, I didn't extend my e-mail, I don't mean of course the I exploted the anglo to its limits, it is very far away, but I decided to try the duet as a 50 button anglo concertina would be very expensive.

In Galicia we have a problem, there isn't a standard pitch for playing at all as in other traditional musics, some people plays in D, others in C, others in Bflat, with the relative keys, as many as the different tunings of the bagpipes, etc. and I wanted to try another system in which it wasn't so difficult to play in all the different keys, and I wanted to try an instrument also mainly for chording.

Félix